AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using analog out from my Asus Xonar D2X soundcard from my PC using Vista advanced audio to act as the preamp. I have a 5.1 surround system, but my L/R/C speakers are bi-amp ready and I want to take advantage of this.

The only 8 channel amp I'm able to find is the Anthem PVA-8.

Do you guru's know of any other's that I can look into? The only other thought I had was to buy 4 identical 2 channel amps - which other HTPC's owners have done.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
The only 8 channel amp I'm able to find is the Anthem PVA-8.

I have 9 channels....two 5 channel amps.

You most likely will have to combine too amps, my recommendation would a Emotiva XPA-5 and a XPA-3.

Quote:
but my L/R/C speakers are bi-amp ready and I want to take advantage of this.

bi-amping has ZERO advantage if you throw enough power at them in the first place. Do you understand why people bi-amp?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've noticed a considerable difference in AQ from my current cheapo receiver Onkyo 540 with biamping, so I am assuming that I would need 8 channels - perhaps I should be rethinking this?

This is why I love posting on these forums

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I've noticed a considerable difference in AQ from my current cheapo receiver Onkyo 540 with biamping, so I am assuming that I would need 8 channels - perhaps I should be rethinking this?

Yes, bi-amping allows you to give your speaker more power (giving each driver its own amp source) so if you are using limited power source (cheap AVR) you will probably improve your overall speaker performance.

If you give yourself enough power then bi-amping serves little if no purpose. Just food for thought.

I would suggest buying a 3 channel or 5 channel amp and just listening to music/movies first. Then you can add after if you feel something is missing.

·
Registered
20,241 Posts
The Ada PTM-8150 is an excellent 8 channel amp. Look for them used for great prices. New, they are too expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/15486290

Yes, bi-amping allows you to give your speaker more power (giving each driver its own amp source) so if you are using limited power source (cheap AVR) you will probably improve your overall speaker performance.

If you give yourself enough power then bi-amping serves little if no purpose. Just food for thought.

I would suggest buying a 3 channel or 5 channel amp and just listening to music/movies first. Then you can add after if you feel something is missing.

+1, put your money toward a better/more powerful 3 or 5 channel amp.

If you want an 8 channel the Marantz MM8003 is an option.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Sounds as if you just need a good amplifier. With enough power you won't need to bi-amp your speakers.

Take a look at the Emotiva XPA-5. It is currently out of stock, but if you can wait 6-8 weeks it should be available again. With 200wpc into 8 ohm speakers there is no lack of power.

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts