AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at PMP's, and it seems all the larger ones are video players as well. Is there a decent quality player with a biggish HD that's audio only? I don't mind a/v but I figure I'm paying for video. Also it would need to play FLAC files.

If I go with an a/v player I'm probably getting a Cowon A3, maybe Archos...suggstions welcome on others but iPod is out.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
You're wanting 80 gb to store all your music?

I don't quite get that myself. I'd rather store the music on a pc where the HDD space is cheap and you can always add drive space.

It's not like anyone, really, keeps these devices longer than a couple of years. It will never be permanent storage on the device, and you'll always need backups on the pc.

With a flash-based unit like a Cowon (expandable) you start with 16 GB, and then add a 16 GB or 32 GB SD card to expand. Now you're up to possibly 48 GB. Even with FLAC, that's likely close to 100 CDs worth of music.

I'm happy with a 16 + 16 GB D2, but then I don't mind swapping out music every week or every other week for new selections. I can add enough that there's always something I'm in the mood for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL /forum/post/15556390

You're wanting 80 gb to store all your music?

I don't quite get that myself. I'd rather store the music on a pc where the HDD space is cheap and you can always add drive space.

It's not like anyone, really, keeps these devices longer than a couple of years. It will never be permanent storage on the device, and you'll always need backups on the pc.

With a flash-based unit like a Cowon (expandable) you start with 16 GB, and then add a 16 GB or 32 GB SD card to expand. Now you're up to possibly 48 GB. Even with FLAC, that's likely close to 100 CDs worth of music.

I'm happy with a 16 + 16 GB D2, but then I don't mind swapping out music every week or every other week for new selections. I can add enough that there's always something I'm in the mood for.

You know, that makes some sense. I've got most of my stuff on external hd's already, both FLAC and high bitrate mp3. What I really wish I could do is link an external hd to my receiver and play music at home that way; then I'd be just fine with a smaller capacity player and swapping stuff out. I think I could only do that it I went the HTPC route which isn't in the plans (yet).

I'm leaning more and more toward the Cowon and away from the Archos 606 but of course that could change.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan /forum/post/15556678

What I really wish I could do is link an external hd to my receiver and play music at home that way; then I'd be just fine with a smaller capacity player and swapping stuff out.

Did you look at the Squeezebox and Sonos? They stream music from your PC to your receiver. Not quite what you want, but close. I have the Squeezebox. It works really well, I would never go back to CDs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh /forum/post/15564686

Did you look at the Squeezebox and Sonos? They stream music from your PC to your receiver. Not quite what you want, but close. I have the Squeezebox. It works really well, I would never go back to CDs.

Gonna check that out, I have a ton of stuff in FLAC on hd's (live stuff mostly, bootlegs) and that would be a great way to enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts