AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Fuji P50(40), which I'm thrilled with. HD looks awesome on this set. I've had worse results watching DVD's, however. I purchased a Sony 775, and the picture quality is a shade above horrible (fuzzy, not especially bright or colorful). I've read reviews from people with this same plasma rave about DVD performance ("near-HD"), so it's either my settings or the player.

I'm connecting through component, and I've tried both the interlaced and progressive modes (interlaced is better). In addition, I ran through a calibration disc, but it only helped a little bit.

So, I'd like to hear what recommendations people have for another player. Maybe one with HDMI output? I've read some good things about the Panasonic S77...... Or, maybe someone has a few tips for proper setup that I've missed.

Appreciate it.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I'm using the Pioneer 59AVi with the Fujitsu 50(40). Looks very good at all output resolutions. I'm using 720p via HDMI.

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
I'm using the Pioneer 59AVi with the Fujitsu 50(40). Looks very good at all output resolutions. I'm using 720p via HDMI.
Jerry,

How does 480i via HDMI look? Also, I bet if you look close, 480p will look just like 720p. IIRC, you're only the 2nd P50 owner that I've noticed that doesn't use 480i or 480p into the P50. Otherwise you are scaling twice.

larry

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
Jerry,

How does 480i via HDMI look? Also, I bet if you look close, 480p will look just like 720p. IIRC, you're only the 2nd P50 owner that I've noticed that doesn't use 480i or 480p into the P50. Otherwise you are scaling twice.

larry
480i and 480p look very good, as does 720p. They are very close. And it's very hard to do a comparison given the time it takes to enter the Pioneer DVD menu, switch resolutions, and hit play. I know the scaler in the Fujitsu is superb, and prior to getting the Pioneer 59AVi, I was using the 480i output from my previous Yamaha 2300 instead of the 480p output (which also looked very good). But I find the 720p output from the Pioneer seems to produce a slightly smoother picture than 480i or 480p. Again, it's very close and without doing a side by side comparison, which just isn't possible, I couldn't really tell for sure.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirby96
I'm connecting through component, and I've tried both the interlaced and progressive modes (interlaced is better). In addition, I ran through a calibration disc, but it only helped a little bit.
You'll never get DVD to look as good as uncompressed 1080i or 720p... the data just isn't present in the DVD source. And the better your display (and you've got what many consider to be the best one), the more likely it is you will notice the difference. In my opinion, even the best upconverting DVD player is not going to produce a much better picture than the AVM II processor will by upconverting native 480i from your Sony player.

If you haven't already done so, I would be sure to set all the Sony 775 image enhancement, noise reduction, and any other processing features to 'off' and send an unmodified 480i signal to the AVM II processor over a component connection. If you're still not satisfied with the picture, you can then experiment with the various noise reduction and image enhancement parameters offered in the "precision menu"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.