AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sony W-Series KDL-40W4100 HDTV and don't plan on getting a receiver anytime soon (unless it's with my price range). Right now I got the Xbox hooked up to the TV via HDMI cable for video and sound. What I'm wondering about are there any speakers that would fully exploit the sound from the xbox. I'm not looking for tall floorstanding speakers... Maybe a pair of bookshelf speakers. Are they any good for gaming/watching DVD movies?

My budget: $300

P.S. I know it's a low price but that's why it's going to be a budget system. Please help out if you have any suggestions and links to products will be greatly appreciated as well.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Look for an older, non HDMI AVR on Craigslist and Ebay. For $50 you should be able to get a very capable receiver. I have seen the Onkyo TX-SR600 for $25. I used to own one and it was very capable. You must have a receiver for improved sound. You don't have to go crazy though.

Speakers are different. You could start with 2 fronts and add later or go with a cheaper 5.1 if that would work. Energy has some cheaper setups.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you were interested in a 5 speaker system, Amazon has the Energy Take Classic 5 Pack 5.0 set for $140. I'm told this is a great low budget speaker system. You'd still need a receiver. I'd look at a refurb HK 154 on ebay. You can grab it for 170$ buy it now if you use the 12% bing cash back (although you have to wait on that rebate to come in). For $310 you have a great starter system. If you're interested, you can throw in a subwoofer down the road (most people will recommend this).

Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm most interested in a 2.0/2.1 set up. The ELT525 look great but where do I buy the stands? And what reciever would compliment those speakers nicely?

Any other suggestions on building this budget system from the ground up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.