AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new amp as I have been having some parties and my receiver just cant push the volume as loud as I know the speakers can handle without distorting. I know because I used to have an HK receiver that worked wonders with these speakers at volume and my receiver cant touch what that HK amp had. I found two 5 channel amps in my price range in my area but I dont know much about either. I found a B&K 125.5 and an Adcom GFA7400. Both are 5 channel amps with the B&K putting out 125w per channel and the Adcom putting out 100w. I will mostly use the amp for home theater duty but as I said before, periodically I throw parties and will use them to power speakers for music. The speakers I currently use are Infinity Primus across the front and some older Energy bipoles for the rear which have been great.

What do you guys think? B&K or the Adcom? My budget is under $500 and both of these amps can be had for under that. Anything else that you would reccomend in this price range that might beat these two choices?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
How do you know that the AVR is distorting, and not the speakers? How loud are you driving the speakers?

-T

EDIT: Just realized after re-reading your post that the HK drove them without distortion, so it's the AVR. Guess I read too fast..

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Either will work well for you...

B&K and Adcom both build credible power amplifiers..

Basic reason why the HK AVR drove the loudspeakers well is because of the way the HK amplifiers in their AVRs are designed..

Their amplifiers use discrete output devices, full complimentary topology and high current, plus a heavy duty power supply. Thats why just the power transformer used in an HK AVR often weighs more than a competitively speced AVR..

Just my $0.015...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not terribly loud, but its loud enough to rock a party. Do you think the component B&K amp will be worse then the HK receiver? Or is there no way to tell until I get it all hooked up? Yeah, that was one thing I noticed about the HK. It was several pounds heavier then my Onkyo receiver.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
thats why hk's always cost more than any other receiver watt for watt....THEY DON'T LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind even the adcom am will most likely run 30-40 watts more power than your old hk so you will definitely get a higher output with either amp...i would run the b&k myself just for the extra headroom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts