Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

maybe one of you knows of a CRT PC monitor that has a DVI port. I was hoping I could use such a monitor for an HTPC, and double its use as a monitor for HDTV viewing from my Comcast cable box using its DVI port.

I'm aware of Monivision, and alternates like front-projectors that have DVI, or HDTV monitors (TVs) that have DVI-HDCP. But I was looking for a 21'' CRT PC monitor instead.

If LCD PC monitos can do DVI.. maybe they have CRT monitors with the same feature.

thanks..

·
Registered
201 Posts
THe reason PC LCDs use DVI is because LCD is a digital display... CRT is an analog display... Making one w/ DVI would just add another d\\a conversion... Anyways, only a very few CRTs carry DVI, those would be the high end professional monitors, that go for a couple grand. But they probably wouldn't have component as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
There aren't computer monitors that have component inputs; that's a TV thing. You can get an HDTV with both component and DVI inputs, and accept using an HDTV instead of a computer monitor, or you can get a computer monitor and accept its not having component input. In the latter case, your best bet is probably to get a monitor with both DVI and VGA inputs, and an adapter for connecting your component output sources to the monitor's VGA input.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't know of any CRT monitor with a DVI input. However, if your HTPC has a DVI-out (for example, ATI Radeon All-in-wonder 8500DV) and your Comcast box has DVI out then you should definitely get a LCD display rather than a CRT if screen size is not a consideration for you. There are plenty of LCD displays with DVI and they should work fine with a HTPC and with your Comcast box.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Some monitors have component inputs, it's just that the components are R G B H & V.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
wrong..my 17" sony monitor has component inputs. No DVI, but it does have VGA and S-video. Makes it an awesome monitor for HTPC and a High Definition satellie box. Widescreen too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your posts..

The reason I'm going CRT is for gaming. My understanding is that LCD doesn't cut it for fast motion, and streaks/ghosts a lot.

The need for component is to hook up something like an xbox.

Anyone tried hooking the Comcast Hidef DVI to their LCD/CRT DVI inputs? Does it work? Does the DVI need to have HDCP?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.