AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of anywhere where I can get some acoustically transperant material custom made? One design idea for my HT was to use Black GOM below the chair rail and my family's Tartan above. I would like to get the material made in a "blow-through" fabric since normal kilt material is 13oz wool and ~$100/yd.

BTW the wool is definately not "blow-through". My kilt keeps me scottish bits warm when throwing telephone poles in

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great idea.

I don't think that it helps the cost any but if you are doing this on the top half of the walls does it need to be acoustical transparent. In your room are you doing absorbtion on the whole wall? If you are using just batting on the top half then you are still reflecting sound and could just as well use a thick fabric I think.

On the other hand, you may be able to keep the cost down and still end up with a thinner fabric by looking into some more tartan weaving folks. I know that when I was looking into having a piece of mine made (too rare to find on the shelf) I seemed to find companys making several different qualities of fabrics, the cheaper stuff may have been able to work for you and since it is just a wall covering it shouldn't need to be too stout.

One possible problem would be flammability, you may have to (or at least want to) add some treatment to whatever you get.

Good luck on your search, If my Scottish ancestry was more prominent I would want to show it too. I'm only like 1/8th Scottish and my last name is German/Austrian so I can't pull it off too well.

Again, cool idea,

Brian

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian

You raised a few good points that I had not thought of. Does the upper fabric (only covering batting) need to acoustically transparent? I did not even think about this. I know from years of lurking that most people use GOM upper and lower and I just assumed that the upper needed to be GOM/equivalent.

Can one of the experts help out here? Does the upper fabric over batting need to be acoustically transparent?

As for cost of material, I forgot that most Tartans are available as scarfs and tams(scottish hats) made out of cotton. I'll have to see if I can find a bolt of it. Can anyone help with this?

Also, the fire proofing issue. Is there some sort of spray on product like scotchgard, only for fire not dirt :rolleyes:

Skipp

·
Registered
244 Posts
For flame retardant treatment I only know of this product, it is what we use in live theater for scenic fabrics and costumes Rosco Flamex some of rosco's products can be spendy, but they are a good company. They don't sell direct but theater supply companys usually sell to the public. I did a yellowpages.com search and came up with these guys (I don't know anything about CT, but they are at least in your state) CONNECTICUT STAGE & MOVIE SUPPLY. I would bet money (not much) that they carry rosco products. EDIT: I just googled them and the third hit was rosco's licensed dealer page.

As for the tartan, I found this place online House of Tartan and they will weave a tartan for you, I imagine that a google search for "tartan weave" would come up with lots of options, that's how I found the place I listed.

Good luck, if you do this I would love to see pics of the finished product.

Later,

Brian

PS you might want to start another thread asking about the fabric on the top half of the wall and it's acoustic properties.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.