AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small amount of wall space directly over the recessed frig in my lobby where I want to put a light box. The space isn't big enough for a normal movie poster sized frame. I'm thinking something around 18" (height) x 24" (length) to put my room logo in. I don't want the frame/box to be all to thick as you'll see the profile when walking into the lobby area.

Also, the space is set up for direct wiring. Any suggestions?

Looking through the thousands of HT build photos I have taken to date, I don't have a photo of the space that I can post at the moment, but will do so in the morning. Just picture a smallish space above a smaller full sized frig.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bingo! Another winner.

In hindsight, I should have just PM'd you the question directly. I don't even want to know just how long that bookmark list of your's is.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,170 Posts
Actually Photoglow was a mental bookmark and I didn't need to sort through my out of control list of sites. It was featured prominently on a HGTV show on doing a basement rec room. I've been thinking of getting a couple and doing some "theater art" in my stairwell. If you get one I'll be able to see how they actually work.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to re-render my image and figure out the exact dimensions. Once that is done, I'll order one. They aren't exactly free, but still more than half the price of the Hubbarton Forge light that was going to be my back-up plan.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke with the owner and placed an order. I should have it by early next week with any luck.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the light box today. Looks great! The only problem is that it's a LV based light so can't be direct wired to 120v. I didn't think of that when I ordered. So looks like it may go so another place in the house.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,170 Posts
WHAT? I don't recall reading that. Sucks. It is buried as one of the last FAQs. it says it comes with and adapter. How big is the adapter? Can you bury it in a cutout behind the frame? I have a poster frame that came with a wall wart and I stuck it in an electrical box behind the frame.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16962893

WHAT? I don't recall reading that.

Hidden in the FAQ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16962458

Got the light box today. Looks great! The only problem is that it's a LV based light so can't be direct wired to 120v. I didn't think of that when I ordered. So looks like it may go so another place in the house.

How big is the transformer? Anyway you can use a recessed clock box?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It's just a standard 12v wall wart. I have to imagine I can find something smaller.

One option is to replace the round light electrical box with a recessed double box. The wart plugs in so that it goes sideways. That will cause it to poke out some.

Anyway, I'm sure I can rig something together that will work. I wonder if one can get a mini transformer that can be hard wired?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I now have an easy solution that I'll put together post final inspection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts