AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I'm looking for a set top box that I can use to adequately stream videos that I have on my computer to my TV. I would probably also do Netflix on it as well as Youtube, but probably nothing else.

I'm not looking to build an HTPC but high video quality is important to me. Currently I have my computer connected to my TV via HDMI but I need to move it to another room in my house so this setup is no longer practical.

I've been reading a lot into different devices like the Minix X8-H Plus but I'm concerned about the performance hit I'd take doing this; it seems like I'd have to create an FTP server on my PC so that Kodi or whatever I use on the device could see my files. Has anyone else been successful in doing this? If so, what was your solution?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Amazon FireTV with Kodi would do the trick. What kind of files do u have - full blu-ray rips

are you going to hardwire your connections

·
Registered
812 Posts
A Chromebox running OpenELEC is the standard now, but as jaykay0222 said, a FireTV with Kodi would work pretty well, too. If you want cheap but will definitely play just about anything then look at a WDTV Live.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amazon FireTV with Kodi would do the trick. What kind of files do u have - full blu-ray rips

are you going to hardwire your connections
No, I don't have many Blu Ray rips although some of my stuff is. Probably a lot of it isn't even in HD but the option would be nice for when I want it. I'll probably have my computer wireless with the Android box/set top box wired directly to my router.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No, I don't have many Blu Ray rips although some of my stuff is. Probably a lot of it isn't even in HD but the option would be nice for when I want it. I'll probably have my computer wireless with the Android box/set top box wired directly to my router.
My choices would be in the order

1. WDTV if you want to play local content SD or HD
2. Amazon FireTV with Kodi
3. Chromebox if you need to play 1:1 blu-ray rips

·
Registered
812 Posts
Can you fast forward/rewind mkvs on all three of those options?
Yeah, as long as your network connection is up to it and as long as transcoding isn't involved.... which it shouldn't.

Also, in order to get NetFlix on the Chromebox you would have to run a dual boot setup where you would boot into Kodi (OpenELEC) for local streaming and into ChromeOS for NetFlix streaming. Not quite as smooth as you would get with the WDTV Live or the Amazon FireTV. I would actually rank them this way:

Local Playback:
#1 - Chromebox running Kodi
#2 - WDTV Live
#3 - Amazon FireTV

NetFlix
#1 - Amazon FireTV
#2 - WDTV Live
#3 - Asus Chromebox

I would actually recommend the FireTV for your situation since all 3 are very strong at local playback and the interface is much, much better than the WDTV Live.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you are not doing uncompressed Blu-Ray rips, Plex Media Server is a great option and has clients for a wide range of devices including XBox, PlayStation, Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast and a number of others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you all are saying local content, are you referring to local as in the network or local as in on an external device (e.g., USB key) to the set top box?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts