AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully i am in the right category...I am looking for decent priced DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW/RAM Recorder/VCR Combo, I am going to be recording TV shows, movies, and music videos for personal playback as well as taking old VCR tapes and coping the tapes to DVD.

First, I will be recording everything from a DVR (From my cable company - A tivo or Directv might be available for me in the future.) so a digital tuner most likely will not be needed which would work for us in the price category

Second, once recorded to DVD- or +RW, it will be played back on another DVD player as well as a Portable LG DVD Player on road trips.

Third, I would like it if the DVD Recorder recorded to Dual Layer DVD-+R/-+W, however I can live without.

I am looking at: (Thinking the Toshiba or Samsung because of priced under $165)

- Toshiba D-VR610 DVD Recorder and VCR at $162

- Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD Recorder with VCR at $160

- Sony RDR-VX560 DVD Recorder and VCR at $230

- JVC DRMV100B DVD Recorder and VCR at $212

- Panasonic DMR-EA38V DVD Recorder with VCR at $230

Also looked at a Panasonic DMR-EA18K at $180, heard it was a good DVD Recorder w/o VCR, however Out Of Stock everywhere.

Price wise, as low as possible, I would prefer below $200, however if $230 comes up or less, I will look at it.

Any suggestions, I can't decide at all??? I have a Toshiba DVD/VCR Combo now and it works good for 2 ½ years.

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
Probably the EA-38. Since it lacks the digital tuner hopefully it will be more reliable than the buggy EZ-48.

The Panasonics would have the advantage of LP picture quality/flexible record mode and least sensitive to copy protections from your DVR.

Of course it would have to be the most expensive one on your list

You might be able to find it cheaper as a referb. online although I don't know who many EAs are sold vs. EZs. You can find EZ's all the time(which maybe should tell you something
)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Absolutely the Panasonic, no question. All the others on your list are either prone to breakdowns, or refuse to record many shows that aren't actually restricted, or both. In todays USA marketplace, aside from Panasonics the only recorders worth a damn are the Phillips 3576/Magnavox H2160 twins. Everything else- EVERYTHING- is a ticking time bomb waiting to screw you. If you really need the VCR combo, go with a Panasonic, if you can live with having a separate VCR, go with the Phillips/Magnavox for its hard drive feature (very useful).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Panasonic DMR-EA18K DVD Recorder or the Panasonic DMR-EA38V DVD Recorder/VCR seem to be the best choice, however the problem is, no retail store in Massachusetts carries these two models and if by the off chance they do like Sears, its not in stock, does Panasonic even sell these models anymore?

I would prefer buying them in a store, so if I have a problem, I can return it hassle free, but online, Amazon one of them and so does CompUSA/Tigerdirect, so I don't know, is there any other DVD Recorder that has good quality, did I miss any?

I looked at the Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK, however $279 is alot to spend. Thank you for the advice above.

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
The EA Pannys seem to be kind of orphans available more online. In my area the only places that really carry them would be Target for the EA-18 and Ultimate Electronics for the EA-38.

I agree with your reasoning on wanting to buy B&M, I personally wouldn't but a DVDR mail order unless it was dirt cheap and I knew what to expect. The Walmart/Magnavox 2160 is a different story since you can return/exchange it to a B&M Walmart. IMO any current DVDR is too flaky to risk having to send it back through the mail.

Don't you have a Target near you? I know UE is more midwest/western but I thought Targets were everywhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this Saturday I will hit up three-four Targets in and around my area, maybe I will get lucky.

One question, how about a Magnavox 160GB DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner or the Philips version at Walmart, $230 is high, but this option could work, any good, considering I already have an old Panasonic VCR? might be cool.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Find any post by wajo and click the link in his sig. Has all the info about the Philips/Maggy twins.

edit: It's also the top sticky on this forum.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Perhaps many folks somehow find their way to an AVS thread without ever seeing the variety of threads that provide wider access to information. Here is the "front page" for the DVD recorder threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

If one "searches" from the front page it may be more helpful to set the display options to go back more than one month.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the informationa nd advice everyone, for DigaDo, I was talking about buying a DVD Recorder/VCR in this thread and one member suggested buying a Phillips/Magnavox for its hard drive feature and I was just putting that in as an option, I saw the threat and it was very helpful.

I am hoping on Saturday when I visit several different stores (ex: Target, BB and etc.) I find one of those four DVD Recorders...

- Panasonic DMR-EA18K DVD Recorder

- Panasonic DMR-EA38V DVD Recorder/VCR

- Phillips or Magnavox DVD Recorder with Hard Drive.

Wow, those Phillips/Magnavox are expensive, more the the Phillips at $300.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveboss /forum/post/15425792

Thank you for the informationa nd advice everyone, for DigaDo, I was talking about buying a DVD Recorder/VCR in this thread and one member suggested buying a Phillips/Magnavox for its hard drive feature and I was just putting that in as an option, I saw the threat and it was very helpful.

I am hoping on Saturday when I visit several different stores (ex: Target, BB and etc.) I find one of those four DVD Recorders...

- Panasonic DMR-EA18K DVD Recorder

- Panasonic DMR-EA38V DVD Recorder/VCR

- Phillips or Magnavox DVD Recorder with Hard Drive.

Wow, those Phillips/Magnavox are expensive, more the the Phillips at $300.

Enjoy.

Save yourself a lot of needless running around by calling your nearby stores to check for in-stock items.

Very few brick and mortar stores carry the products mentioned in your post. Retail stores stock products that appeal to the mass market, i.e. inexpensive time-shifting machines that may be connected to a cable box. The consumer wants to avoid a cable company DVR that they have to rent or lease. These customers usually buy something priced around $100. Machines in the $200 to $300 range do not appeal to this mass market. Very few retailers will stock a non-tuner Panasonic that's priced around $200. A cheap off brand no tuner time-shifter is a better seller than an expensive no tuner time-shifter.

The higher end products appeal to those informed buyers that have done their research on the internet. That's where such products are sold. The Philips 3576 might be found in a few WalMart or Sams Club stores, perhaps even discounted as they don't sell well when the similar looking product next to it sells for $86.88. The Magnavox H2160 is sold at walmart.com, not in retail stores. If there is a problem, as there was with my first H2160 (it had a bad DVD drive) it may be returned to a WalMart store for a refund. I reordered another H2160 the same day I returned the first one. The second H2160 is performing well.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
The EA-18 is no longer listed as being directly available from Panasonic. That is a sure sign the unit has been discontinued. Their website shows a price and a link to find a dealer which means they are still in the channel. In my area they recommend Sears (although their web site lists it as out of stock). Pricegrabber shows no on-line retailers are available.

The next step will be for the price to be de-listed and replaced with a phrase to "see dealer for price".

So if you are considering the purchase of one, get it ASAP.

The EA-38 is still readily available on-line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Besides Panasonic, I know, most people recommend a Pansonic, they are good, however with In Stock being rare, is there any other standalone DVD Recorder or a DVD Recorder with VCR or a DVD Recorder with Hard Drive feature that is worth it, like a Toshiba, Samsung, LG, Sony, Philips or JVC?

Finding a Panasonic at a decent price is hard and I found a Toshiba D-VR610 DVD Recorder and VCR at $162 at BB...

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Wikipedia:

Funai manufactures and designs products under its own Emerson, Pye, Sylvania, and Symphonic brands. In 2008, Philips agreed to hand over its entire consumer electronics business to Funai, with Funai now manufacturing Philips and Magnavox flat-panel TVs and video products, effective January 1, 2009. Funai also manufactures DVD players for Denon, DVD players/recorders for Toshiba, digital cameras for Eastman Kodak, projectors for Intech, and computer printers for Dell and Lexmark.

·
Registered
11,725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/15433507

Funai also manufactures DVD players for Denon,

Wow, didn't Denon used to be a top of the line audio mfg.?

I guess some companies have chosen to just sell their name to the lowest bidder

On the VR610 I couldn't find much on AVS, we don't seem to have a strong "newer" Toshiba following here. Here are a few small threads.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=vr610

·
Registered
10 Posts
FYI, I see the Panasonic DMR-EA38V ($229.99) showing up on my local Tiger Direct web page, but I'm not sure if it is actually available in the stores or only from tigerdirect.com. Worth checking out if that is the unit you want to buy. Oh, just realized they don't have storefronts in MA (only FL, NC, IL, TX)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I really REALLY hate it when people throw this expression at me, but in certain situations it does sum things up perfectly:

"Beggars can't be choosers."

Yes, it would be nice to have a wider selection of quality DVD recorders, with or without hard drives and/or VHS sections. Yes, it would be nice if they were still widely available in retail stores to examine and comparison shop. But that is not the case. The damn things simply do not sell and stores no longer want to "waste" precious shelf space hawking $200-300 machines that collect dust. Much like high-end audio, quality video recorders are now largely an online purchase. As long as you buy from an etailer with a good track record for exchanges/returns, like Amazon, Crutchfield, Tiger Direct, etc, there is no need to be fearful. There are very VERY few decent machines left in the US and they are being discontinued once again in favor of g*d only knows what loss-leader 2009 junk. If you want a Panasonic, buy a Panasonic- now. If it costs you $200, it costs you $200, but at least you got one. Better $200 now for a brand new unit you can easily exchange than $400 six months from now via some unknown eBay listing.

Also, people need to put the prices we're talking about into perspective. DVD recorders have always been a very small market compared to VCRs, and that market has not evolved much. Three-four years ago a really solid DVD-only Panasonic or Pioneer cost $300, and recorders with hard drives were $500. The current crop of Panasonic DVD-only and DVD-VCR combos are a relative bargain at $220, and the Phillips/Magnavox with hard drives are a running jumping screaming steal at $250. And this includes the very expensive circuitry for the new ATSC tuners which the old machines did not have. If you are just now joining us from the world of VCRs, you need to adjust your expectations a bit. A few years ago, you could get a halfway decent VCR like a Mitsubishi 448 for well under $100, a price/performance ratio that's flat-out impossible with DVD recorders. I hate to say this, but if you can't budget $220 don't even bother: the quality options are Panasonic or Phillips/Magnavox, all else is bound to disappoint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.