AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completely new to recievers. I've run my 720P DLP, surround sound, and dvd players straight to there intended locations for several years without ever using a reciever. I am also thinking of getting a projector as well. What's a good reveiver for a low-to-medium budget? This Sony - STR-DG1000 ($540) looks pretty sweet I think. Is this one da bomb? Opinions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to plug in my HD cable box, Xbox 360, PS2, Bose speakers and subwoofer, DVD player... I think it'd be nice if it upconverted through HDMI so I could just run one wire to the projector. I could do alot of resarch but I have been very busy moving to North Carolina so I will likely just buy one of the receivers that is recommended. Budget is $400-$600. Thanks guys.

Also, would the upconverting cause a delay in the video/sound due to the processing taking place? That would make gaming almost impossible.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I own the DG1000 and it is a sweet system. It will transcode all types of analog video (composite, s-, component) signals to HDMI (digital, version 1.2a). It does NOT upscale video signals. It addition to handling audio via HDMI it also has excellent additional audio connectivity including 7 digital audio in (4 optical/3 coax), 1 digital audio out (optical), a set of 7.1 analog multichannel inputs and a full set of preamp outputs, 2 zone operation, a learning remote, on screen display, etc.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Take a Look at the

Panasonic SA-XR57

Not Bad & Sounds Sweet

less than $300 bucks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 /forum/post/0

It does NOT upscale video signals.

Really? Sony's website is wrong I guess. Are there any receivers out there in this price range that will upconvert analog signals to 1080i/720p? Also, will the sony do surround without having to use an optical/coax connection (through HDMI)?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej974 /forum/post/0

Really? Sony's website is wrong I guess. Are there any receivers out there in this price range that will upconvert analog signals to 1080i/720p?

The terms upconverting and upscaling tend to get used interchangeably so let me be clearer with my explanation. The DG1000 does NOT have a built-in scaler. The DG1000 converts (transcodes) any analog video signal to digital HDMI so that you can use a single HDMI cable from the AVR to your HDTV. For example, if you give the DG1000 a 480p s-video input, it digitizes it and passes it to the HDTV at 480p over the HDMI cable. That's upconversion, not upscaling which is what it sounds like you want. It also passes up to 1080p HDMI signals through to the HDTV.

Take a look at the Onkyo's that are supposed to be coming out soon. Maybe one of those will suit your needs. FWIW, if you find an AVR with a scaler in the price range you're looking ("low-to-medium budget"), it may not be that good - i.e., your HDTV may have a better one built in. Also, make sure that the AVR has the option to disable the scaler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej974 /forum/post/0

Also, will the sony do surround without having to use an optical/coax connection (through HDMI)?

Yes. Any audio format passed to the DG1000 by HDMI is processed without using separate audio hook-ups. For sources that are not connected to it by HDMI, you need to use digital audio connections for surround sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts