AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Here is my problem, in a nutshell:

- I have a dual core intel, 400gb hd, 2gb ram, built in realtek soundcard HP pavilion.

- I am running foobar2000, all FLAC files out via usb to a Bryston DAC and on to a preamp and amp

- There are irregular popping noises that I was told are bit errors in the digital stream and that the computer config and/or hardware is at fault. My computer skills are pretty limited, so I don't know if something like this is even fixable. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has some ideas...

I would like to either get or have a very basic system built which will only have one purpose: to stream music via usb to my dac without any of the above problems. Nothing else, no internet, no video, no gaming...

My question is: could someone give me a list with the components I would need, and also some important steps, possible glitches or procedures to watch out for when I order this thing... Of course I would like to fix mine but I realize that is probably going to be a pain.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I think I figured it out. Someone on the AVForums suggested that either the power supply might be at fault or possibly change the thread priority in foobar from 7 to 3, apparently this worked for him...

So I plugged the pc into my Panamax conditioner/voltage regulator and sure enough all the popping, crackling and hissing went away. Worked great last night for about 5 hours...

I will check it again tonight but I'm pretty optimistic that was the problem.

One other thing I did was increase the usb poll rate to 1000 as per pawelq's recommendation...

Just wanted to let everyone know in case this happens to someone else. Of all things, I would have never thought to plug it into a conditioner as I have never had any such problems. Well, it just goes to show...

Regards

P.S. I would still like to know what components would be best (in terms of least interference with the original files) for streaming music via usb to an external dac...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts