AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played piano for the better half of a decade, and even though I don't anymore, I love to sit down and enjoy from time to time. Going to a concert isn't always an option, but I do have a really nice home stereo, and can play high res formats (SACD, DVDA, Bluray-audio, etc).

Any suggestions for some piano-focused recordings I might enjoy? Really feeling in the mood for something heavy & bold - almost like when pianos are used in hip-hop beats.

Thanks for any input, looking forward to some good listening material!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is available on all three formats, and a few of his earlier works like Madman Across the Water were released on SACD. OOP now but show up on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
You might like AIX records DVD-Audio of Chopin Four Ballades played by Anita Chang. It has 2 channel, 5 channel stage and 5 channel audience mixes all RECORDED at 96khz / 24 bit instead of just being recorded on analog then converted. It even comes with some video of the recording session.

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
Piano Starts Here is a Zenph release. Its a "computerized piano" reproduction of the original recording by Art Tatum.

Hybrid SACD, its a state of the art recording. It does lack a certain "human quality", but the OP was about high quality and this qualifies.

Any discussion of jazz piano starts and ends with Art Tatum. Many aspiring jazz pianists have given up after hearing Tatum play.

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
And since you got me started on jazz piano SACDs, there are many fine releases from Dave Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, Gene Harris, Monty Alexander and more.

Keith Jarret Koln Concert is a good piano jazz stereo recording on ECM label.
This is also available in a 24/96 format download from HDTracks. By most accounts its an upgrade over the CD.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here are a few more you might check out....

Oscar Peterson - Exclusively For My Friends - Vol I - Action (SACD)
Oscar Peterson - Exclusively For My Friends - Vol III - The Way I Really Play (SACD)
Oscar Peterson - Night Train (Blu-ray audio)
RCA Living Stereo - Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1/Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 (SACD)
Chopin - The 2 Piano Concertos - Sa Chen (SACD)
Dvorak - Works for Violin & Piano (SACD)

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
^^^
I have all 6 of the "Oscar Peterson - Exclusively For My Friends" SACD set. Great quality recording but I don't care much for the sound of the "studio" used. Those were recorded in someone's living room.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Not one of my favorites and can't guarantee the fidelity but there are a number of Billy Joel MFSL SACD's. Are you particular to any one genre of music?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not one of my favorites and can't guarantee the fidelity but there are a number of Billy Joel MFSL SACD's. Are you particular to any one genre of music?
Appreciate the additions!

In daily life, I'm actually big on house, trance, and some hip-hop. But I grew up listening to classical and various acoustical type things (obviously piano centric music included).

I enjoy almost anything that's dramatic and heavy. Tchaikovsky in general, but specifically Swan Lake, always appealed to me in this manner.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ola Gjeilo - Stone Rose (SACD) and Piano Improvisations (Blu Ray audio), 2L. They have excellent resolution and he plays powerful in the lower register quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Appreciate the additions!

In daily life, I'm actually big on house, trance, and some hip-hop. But I grew up listening to classical and various acoustical type things (obviously piano centric music included).

I enjoy almost anything that's dramatic and heavy. Tchaikovsky in general, but specifically Swan Lake, always appealed to me in this manner.
Elusive Disc is having a 1/2 price SACD sale but from what I've seen it's almost all classical with naturally some piano centric recordings. Not sure how long the sale lasts may be over this weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts