AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new house, and I'm taking the opportunity to build a beginner/mid-level (depends on who you are asking) HT setup. I have already bought a Sony 34xs955 (got a GREAT deal on an open item at BB), and I have a refurb Onkyo 602 receiver on the way from uBid. Got all of that information from reading threads here -- thanks for the help!

Now I'm on to speakers, and I find myself a little bit stuck. As much as I'd love to go with a 5.1 system, running wires is going to be impossible in my space. I have a 20 ft. ceiling in my room, and I'm definitely not ready to go digging up carpet to run speaker wire underneath.

Here are my needs:
  • My budget is roughly $600, but I can go higher if the quality warrants it
  • The system will be used for 1. TV, 2. Music, 3. DVDs (distant 3rd...I don't watch DVDs all that often.)
  • I have an *open* floor plan, so I will be listening to the speakers from a number of different places throughout the house, not just in this one room.

Right now I'm thinking about an Athena setup with two WS-60s and a 10" AS-P4000 sub, which would put me at $500, plus tax and cabling, which gets me closer to $600.

Is there anything just as good that gets me by cheaper? For example, I'm considering the 10" Dayton sub from Parts Express instead, as it is $200 cheaper.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you can stretch your budget a little there is a great deal on a pair of B-Stock Onix Reference 1's at AV123. You will be able to use these without a sub unless you listen to bass intensive music. I also suggest the ELT LRS, PB/S and XCD-88 deal they have going on, as I have them and love them. You may also want to look at Ascend HTM-200 and Axiom M22i. If you are able to stretch your budget the Reference 1's are a steal, if not I'm sure you will be happy with any other of the speakers mentioned. With the Axiom and the Ascend you will need a sub, and you could suffice with a Dayton unless you want wall shaking bass.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.