AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a used projector for my dorm, but there's so much variation on eBay and other places that I don't really know what to get.

The room where it will be placed is about 15'x20' with white cinderblock walls. It will probably be placed to throw across the 15' distance, since that gives the most convenient placement for hooking our other equipment up to the network and cable jacks. I will be using the wall as the screen for a while, though I'll probably buy or build a decent one eventually.

I'm wanting to spend under $600 and have component video inputs with support for everything from 480i to 1080i (of course scaling the higher res) and a native resolution of at least SVGA. A native widescreen VGA model would also be acceptable, but higher resolutions take precedence in my mind. The primary video source right now will be my Xbox and my Xbox360 when those come out. It will also be used for a PS2 on an S-Video input and potentially my laptop from a VGA connection.

I found what I think is a good deal on a BenQ 6100 with 45 hours for $500, does that sound like a good buy? The bit of research I've done on it indicates that it has what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
You're going to have to go the used route to find anything under $600, though ubid.com will sometimes have refurbs, or even new, projectors at very low prices.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course. I'm not delusional enough to believe that I could find a new model with the features I want in that price range, but I hope I can get a decent used one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both of those look nice, but the PLV-Z2's eBay prices seem to be about twice what I want to pay.

I did locate an L500U in my price range, so I'm going to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Benq seems to be a good choice for what you want the projector for. Also, look at InFoucs' X series and the lower level of the LP line.

·
Registered
347 Posts
get a refurb X1 , msg me for price and where to look. Even tho it will only have a 90 day warrenty, its probably more than the used pjs will have.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
projector in a dorm is generally a bad idea...

if it's 70 degree's in your room when you start a movie.. it'll be about 85 by the time it's over... too much heat for that small of a space if you ask me

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's a suite-style setup. 3 small rooms attached to one large common room, with a powerful AC unit in each room.

My room is about 10x12, and contains 3 desktop PCs, 5 CRTs, 1 laser printer, and a large fridge. even with all these things generating heat, the ambient temp is under 70.

the projector would be in the larger common room, where it and the sound system would be basically the only heat generating electronics in the room, so i don't think temperature will be an issue.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Your biggest problem will be to stop your roommates from turning the PJ on and off. That will just kill the lamp. Since they didn't pay for it, they may not pay attention to its proper use. You might want to establish a lamp fee kitty, to help you pay for replacement lamps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
DealMac has a link to the InFocus X1 selling new for $549 shipped after a rebate.

The system will not let me post a direct link because I'm a new poster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.