1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120085
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115124
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-C.../dp/B0002WPSBC

I have a 360 and ps3 so Id like to have 2 digital optical inputs, but I suppose I could buy a switch for the logitech speakers but I'm not sure how well those work so if anyone has any experience with one, let me know.

This is the current system I have: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HTS355...1812547&sr=1-1

It only has a digital coaxial so I have to use a converter and that doesn't work very well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Might I ask what you intend to use this for? Gaming, Movies, TV, etc?

The reason that I am asking is if you are going to watch Blu-ray Discs on your PS3, I'd think that you would want to get a receiver that can decode the audio properly over the HDMI cable rather then having to run a separate audio cable and suffer some audio loss. There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum section that explains what I am talking about nicely. I should let you know that I had to read it 3 times to really get an idea of what it meant, but I also should say that I am not very knowledgeable about all things audio.

Just by looking at the three things you posted, I'm guessing that your looking to spend around $300. I will say that for about $350+tax I got a Sony HT 7200DH just before Xmas. I have never had a home theater before, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I like it a lot. It has 3 HDMI, 3 Component inputs, as well as 2 Optical and 1 Digital Coax (IIRC). You could probably ebay the included DVD Player (it comes in a separate retail box) and recoup a few bucks. I will say that I am not entirely happy with the center channel speaker that came with the 7200DH. While the center channel really helps me hear dialogue better, I think perhaps I need to boost its output a bit or change it to a different one (perhaps one with 2 woofers and 1 tweeter). Being a guy who has worked around heavy equipment for a few years, my hearing is probably pretty bad compared to most people who visit this website.

There are certainly better systems out there. If you have more money to spend check out the Onkyo 6100's. I believe that any Onkyo with a model number above 6000 will do LPCM. There are others here the have them and most all seem to be very happy with them. I believe the starting price is about $500 for one of those systems though.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide. Please post back after you make your purchase and let others know what you like about your system.

-Ken

BTW: I called B+H and they pricematched another websites price of $350. That other website doesn't have anymore in stock, so I don't know if B+H would still do a pricematch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, well now I'm torn between the Sony HT-7200DH and the Logitech Z5500. I will be using the new system for Gaming and BluRays. If someone who knows a lot says that the Sony HT-7200DH is worth the higher price, then I'll prolly get the Sony HT-7200DH but if not I'll most likely stick with the logitechs.

EDIT: Deadkenr, can you give me a link to that $350 site?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The other website was 'etronics' and they don't seem to be carrying the 7200DH model anymore. When I just did a search, I unchecked the box that said: 'only show models in stock' and the 7200DH still didn't show up.

Your probably best off just calling and asking B+H if they would do a pricematch and tell them the price is $351 @ etronics.com. If they give it to you, great. If not, no loss, they seem to be the lowest priced guys around.

The lowest price I can find it for is $384 @ B+H with free shipping and handling . That price already beats Amazon.com ( $493.91 + Free S&H ), J and R Music World ( $429.99 + $56.19 S+H ), Abe's of Maine ( 389.00 + $39.99 S+H ).

-Good luck, Ken

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was looking at the 7200 yesterday on B&H, the no tax/shipping is really appealing.

I'm trying to decide whether to keep my z5500s or switch over to those.

Hrm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you do go to the 7200, let me know how it is compared to the z5500s

im most likely going to get the 7200 in a few weeks when i have the extra money

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deadkenr, are the speakers wall mountable? they look a little heavy and I can't find any info on if they are or aren't

say if one of my blurays has TrueHD, will it convert it to LPCM and play at TrueHD quality on my ps3?

also, if you plug a composite or component device into the receiver, will it output it via hdmi? and even upscale it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts