AVS Forum banner

Looking for a good OUTDOOR Subwoofer

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jshukers 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm about to get the ball rolling on an outdoor speaker system. I really like the Niles GS4 garden speakers, and of course the GSS10 underground subwoofer... but don't know much about what's out there. Is anyone using an outdoor sub that they love or would recommend?

I plan on using an Onkyo 601 6.1 receiver in all channel stereo mode, hooked to a Sonos Connect.

#2 ·
I think you stumped the band. ;) Only outdoor sub I've ever heard was a buddy who had a Polk sub that looked like a flower pot stand. It really wasn't very impressive from what I heard of it.

#3 ·
Hello. What's your budget? I say this b/c other than niles, the only other company that I know of that would put out some thump OUTDOORS is James Loudspeaker...and from my limited knowledge of the company, they are pricey....but you may get what you pay for. I just don't have any personal experience with them, or any outdoor sub for that matter. I can tell you they do make subs from 8 inch to 21 inches! for outdoor use. Check out their website when you can. How large of a space are you looking at? I am an extreme bass head and I didn't bother with outdoor subs, my def techs (AW6500's) provide adequate "DJ speaker sound" from 50+ yards away. To give you an idea, I have 4 10 inch polk subs (in ceiling) in my 7.4 surround system dnstairs, 2 10 inch polk subs (in wall) in my game/bar room, and 2 JTR Orbit Shifters in my dedicated home theater. I don't want to talk you out of the outdoor subs (b/c I def. like the idea!), but just wanted to give you an idea of the sub volume I'm used to and I can def. say I don't miss any outdoors where I'm sure it is hard to get for the $ spent.

#5 ·
Technically isn't that an indoor sub? It's "in" "doors"... :D

Better be tight with the neighbors, or not have any at all with that setup!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.