AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to spend around $2000 on ANY 7 channel amp. I am all about sound quality but all I have heard is B&K. I want an amp because I plan to keep this item for at LEAST 5 years. I will just upgrade the pre-amp as I go. I dont mind buying from unauthorized resellers if its a good price. Please feel free to throw out ALL your opinions on whatever you like. I am willing to go a bit higher than the $2000 if it is worth it. I no nothing about this so please throw out as many options as you like so I can research them ALL. It means quite a bit to me to get the right one being I will have it for so long. I am willing to go used also. I will use it for a bit more for music than for HT. Thank you guys. I'd be lost without you. Sam

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
If it's just a 7 channel power amp you want. Either the Outlaw 770-7 or 7 of the 200 M monoblocks can be had for that price, and with some change left over. As for the monoblocks, they have a real good deal on them right now as well, buy 6 and you get 1 free, and with free shipping also.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/promo-200.html

But if your are looking for a 7 channel receiver at that price point, and not just a power amp.

Then you have way more options to chose from, then you do in power amps.

And it would be hard to say which one, as there are so many in that price range.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am only looking for a power amp. I was looking for the one with the best sound quality at something around that price. Is the outlaw going to give me the same sound quality as say the 200.7 from B&K or say the new 7 channel ATI amps?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7 Outlaw Model 200s for $1674 with free shipping and The Outlaw 770 for $1799 look like great options. Thank you very much Johnla. What else may I ask merits consideration?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have heard that ATI makes the Outlaw 7100 and 770 amps. So you are getting that company's quality at a lesser price point. I have the 7100 and I feel it sounds better than the B&K 125. I don't think their specs match up to the Outlaw either.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Yeah, but every time you bump up the price by almost another $1000, you will always enter another class. And many times with the same or better sound, than the price point that you are looking to spend. And every time you enter a new class, there are also more brands to chose from as well.

$850 more than $2000 is not just a slight increase to consider. And if you factor in that the other amps are a bit below $2000, it's closer to $1000 increase.

When you get in the near $3000 range, as you are now suggesting, then there are MANY more options that open up, and not with just the Sherborn. As now you can consider many other brands as well in that price point.

For example, you could get three Earthquake CineNova Grande 3's for around that price, and have 9 channels of 300 watts at 8 ohms, 600 watts at 4 ohms, 1000 watts at 2 ohms. Of amplifier power. Also, Sunfire amps start coming into the picture when you get into the $3000 range as well. As do many other brands.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is something I am goin to hold onto for atleast 5 years. I want NO regrets. If bumping up the price another thousand is what it takes to do that then I will do it. I just would HAVE to know if the price dofference merits the sound quality difference. That is why I would love to get everyones opinions so I can research everything mentioned and make up my mind. I don't need more power than the Outlaws 300w at 4ohms. Please, keep the recomendations coming. Thank you so much. Sam

·
Vendor
3,515 Posts
I have only suggested to listen to the amplifier and make decisions based on listening experience and not just recommendations from other members.

Sam indicated that he would want to spend $2000 on the amplifier. The Sherbourn can be had in this price range, so I have recommended it for an audition.

I have compared this amplifier to many much more expensive ones such as the Theta Dreadnaught II and the Pass Labs, and it held its own in this comparison.

Roman

P.S. I have personally owned The Sherbourn 5/1500A and recently upgraded to 7/2100. I cannot be happier...

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SamE.
I don't need more power than the Outlaws 300w at 4ohms. Please, keep the recomendations coming. Thank you so much. Sam
Even if you think you don't need more then 300w at 4 ohms, often times with two amps that are more or less the same, but if one has a lower power rating than the other. The higher power amp of the two, more often than not will sound better, even though you may never get close to running "out" of power on either one of them. Do not count out any amps that may have more power than you think you may ever need, as those amps could very well be the better sounding ones to have.

A amp with what some may say is "too much" power, will never damage a speaker, like the one that has barely or almost enough will. In fact, more speakers are damaged by amps that don't have enough clean power, than there are by amps that have plenty or more than enough clean power to drive the same load.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I think the only 7 channel amp that clearly qualifies for "great" is the Plinius Odeon ($9,000), or possibly the Sim Audio Titan ($7,500). "Very good" maybe would be the fully balanced ATI 3007 (300 X 7) for $3,995, though you may find a dealer that will sell it for $3,000. No doubt the Cary Cinema 7 will sound great, but it is only 100 X 7.

Dsmith

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am leaning towards either the Outlaw 7100, the ATI 2007, and the Sherbourn 7/2100. These all seem fantastic. I do not mind going more powerful than I'll need if the sound quality is improved. I was just mentioning my power requrements is all. Thanks guys. Anyone have any more suggestions to add?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Quote:
I am leaning towards either the Outlaw 7100, the ATI 2007, and the Sherbourn 7/2100. These all seem fantastic. I do not mind going more powerful than I'll need if the sound quality is improved. I was just mentioning my power requrements is all. Thanks guys. Anyone have any more suggestions to add?
all good choices, FYI the Outlaw does not have balanced ins and I have read reviews that the ATI is not quite as "musical" as other amps. The Sherbourn would be the no regret amp of the bunch, no compromises and great sound.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
I am leaning towards either the Outlaw 7100, the ATI 2007, and the Sherbourn 7/2100. These all seem fantastic.
I presume you meant to say the Outlaw 770 and not the 7100, unless you really dropped the power requirements you may need.

And if you are still "up" to, maybe going closer to the $3000 mark for a amp. You may as well add the Sunfire Cinema 7 to your list of amps to look at and maybe give a listen to.

Then you would have the balanced XLR inputs which you may or may not need, as many people don't.

And even better power specs at 4 and 2 ohms than most amps have, when compared to their 8 ohm ratings.

http://sunfire.com/cinemaseven.htm

And of course if you go with a used amp at either the $2000 or $3000 mark.

Then you can open yourself up to even higher quality amps, even though they are used.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
all good choices, FYI the Outlaw does not have balanced ins and I have read reviews that the ATI is not quite as "musical" as other amps. The Sherbourn would be the no regret amp of the bunch, no compromises and great sound.
I have not heard the new ATI series (2000 and 3000) with the true balanced design, or the Outlaw, and I doubt either will be in the park with a Plinius or my two channel Innersound ESL, but I would be surprised if the ATI did not sound at least as good as the Outlaw for music or anything else.

Dsmith

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
dsmith901 (and all)

I am demo-ing an Innersound ESL for next 2 weeks. I started last weekend and I will do more listening this weekend. So far, I'm very pleased. It will come down to the Innersound for front 2 channels and let my Pioneer 49txi do all the other channels or get a Parasound A51 for all.

I plan on posting my thoughts on the Innersound vs Pioneer comparison after I'm finished with the "audition". I don't want to post any comments on my comparison before I'm finished.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My top 3 are now the ATI 3007, Sherbourn, and the new sunfire 7 channel. Which would you guys pick may I ask? I am about to buy this week. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know the sunfire seems like it is out of my price range but I have found it online for MUCH less than the MSRP.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
I know the sunfire seems like it is out of my price range but I have found it online for MUCH less than the MSRP.
You should be able to easily find it for a bit under $3000 from a authorized dealer, and for even less from a un-athorized dealer.

I myself would probably go with a Sunfire or 3 of the Earthquake CineNova Grande 3's, if I had the room for the Earthquakes, as they are 120lbs for EACH of them. And that's a lotta amps to have, as far as weight and size when you have 3 of them total.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking sunfire over the sherbourn and ATI also. They are all about the same price and I've heard more positive opinions on the sunfire. If anyone thinks otherwise, however, please share your opinions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.