AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one give me a clue to what HDTV out there has the best looing picture? Some tube that simply puts others to shame. I need the TV by the first for Nov. so if it isnt out yet, thats ok.

Thanks for your help. I want a NON-projection (I have my reasons) TV with a 4:3 screen.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

Get the X-Box, you wont be dissapointed!!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Well you wont get the best picture out of a 4:3 screen. If you really want hidef either for movies or for programming you need to go widescreen.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You aren't going to get a hi-def screen in a 4:3 aspect ratio *OR* a tube. Direct-view's simply don't have the resolution capability.

However, you could get the best possible tube. That would be the Hitachi 36SDX01S or RCA MM36110 + iScan Pro.

Either one of those solutions would be good. Look at the discussion here: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015438.html

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what are you guys saying? Please be more specific.

I will be using this HDTV for the X-Box when it hits the stores on Nov. the 8th. so thats why the projection TV is out. I really dont see how a projection TV is going to look better than a tube anyway. I was thinking the new line of Sampo, what do you guys think. I know its 16:9, I wanted 16:9 but I was told all movies and games will be fitted for 4:3 first. Please correct me here if I am wrong.

Thanks,

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so what HDTV's do have the best resolution, thats really what I am looking for here. And the set doesnt have to be HDTV "ready" either, I can get a decoder later.

Thanks,

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Current HDTV by definition is 720p or 1080i. Thus all will have the same resolution. I have the Sony 36XBR and it has great HDTV resolution of 1080i. It doesn't have 720p capabilities. However, many of the new HDTV have both HDTV resolutions.

Even with a decoder for non-HDTVs will only receive 480i output and 480p max.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am aware of all that. I just didnt know what that person was talking about when they said I wont get a high def. pic from a 4:3 *OR* a tube.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you are telling me that any HDTV that is 4:3 is NOT a true High Definition television?

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
 http://www.**************.com/script...ory.php3?id=54

Chef, to me all of the HDTV’s have excellent pictures when they have a HD signal applied and the color is adjusted. Chef, you must first decide what ratio you want 4:3 or 16:9. The future is 16:9 and if you are going to watch CBS HD sports for example I would recommend that you get a 16:9 HD. If you are just going to play the XBOX for now and want to spend the least amount of money now go 4:3 HD. RCA 36†or 32†4:3 for about 1k. RCA 38†16:9 2k. Or the Samsung 4:3 or 16:9 HD.

If you have a Goodguys or Sears store near you, go check it out for yourself. I think the picture is equal with HD signal even the Rear Projector TV. My opinion, any HD monitor will do for the XBOX to display in HD mode or 480P mode. HD looks great on any HD ready TV.

The 4:3 TV fits the HD image on the screen without losing any information. Valnar is talking about pixel count. Yes you get more pixel count on a 16x9 with 9 inch guns. But bottom line a 4:3 HD TV looks dam good too.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, first of i really did want a 16:9, but I was misinformed about the programming. Ok, so now 16:9 is going to be my choice. Second, money is no object. I want a big TV too, nothing smaller than 34" but it cant be a projection HD television.

I was looking at the Sampo SME-34WHD5, but that set had issues (last yrs model). Does anyone know if the new models will have all that stuff fixed? If not, what is another top 16:9 HDTV.

Thanks guys!

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chef423:
Ok, so what HDTV's do have the best resolution, thats really what I am looking for here. And the set doesnt have to be HDTV "ready" either, I can get a decoder later.

Thanks,

chef423
"HDTV Ready" means that the set does not have a decoder. If you are planning on purchasing a decoder in the future, you need to buy a HDTV Ready set, whether it be a direct view or projection.

X-Box will rock with my 65XBR 16:9 rear projection tv. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I already have a space in my rack for it.

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really? Your going to use the X-Box on a projection tv? Are you affriad of the burn in?

chef423

GUYS, HELP! I need a 16:9 HDTV!! I dont understand about the 1080i resolutions ( ikno what it mean, interlaced). Isnt it the same res for every set? (1080i?) I see some sets that support 1080i and then they say, "it can only perform Digital Video Resolution of 1280H x 1080V. Is that true 1080i? HELP!

Thanks

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If you want big and money is no object 50" 16:9 http://www.rcascenium.com/Home the L50000 VIDEO GAMES will not burn in this unit.

Or the new Sony 34†KD-34XBR2 16:9 with two component input and two fire wire inputs. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015325.html

------------------

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
1080I is so many pixels that it looks like a progressive signal. 720P is about equal to 1080I when you look at the picture. Most 1080I, 720P are HD signals. The XBOX and the Set top boxes for receiving HD signals can handle either one. Most HD tv’s do 1080I, so the Set top Box converts the signal from 720P to 1080I or 1080I to 720P depending on your TV needs. You can not tell the difference. The XBOX supports 720P, 1080I and 480P (704x480 wide screen).

Any HDTV that you like and has component input that supports 480P, 1080I and or 720P will do the JOB!

Remember a regular TV only does 480I (640x480)I.

------------------

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Don't believe that 720p looks as good as 1080i.

In many cases it does because the display cannot resolve

better than 720p resolution, but some very high end displays

can show more than 720p resolution.

Unforunately in the 30-38" range pretty much all the

displays are only good for about 720p res.

If you are targeting around 34" I would research the

RCA 38" 16:9 set (with built in Satellite receiver).

It has a nice picture and is larger than the 34"

range which is more common.

The Princeton AF3.0HD has better color corrected phosphors

so it has a very nice picture but it is a bit smaller.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Just to clarify - most sets _will_ take a 1080i input signal

but the dot pitch on the display isn't fine enough to show much of the detail beyond 1280x720 so you get a "720p like" picture from your 1080i signal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My laCie monitor has a .22 dot pitch. Which HD sets can do true 1080i??

Thanks

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
PVR, that’s your opinion. 720P is progressive all the way. 1080I is interlace with a lot of pixels. Chef go to the store and take a look, I think you will see they are on the same level. The HDTV standard is 720P or 1080I. ABC chose 720P for their broadcast, while CBS chose 1080I, potato patatoo or how ever you spell it.

Plasma TV’s are native to 720P so are the LCD, they are completely digital. The true digital televisions are doing true HD. Tube, TV’s are still analog that can display the digital signal. The HD ready RPT are still analog guns but can display digital signals.

Chef you be the judge, take a look out there; by the way the Plasma screen will burn in with a video game easy; RPT will do it if you let it over time, even a tube is subject to burn in if you leave it on the screen for to long.

------------------

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you seen the picture on the RCA F38310?? That tv looks phat!! I wonder about the picture though.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I own one! Great picture, built in turner. Good price for what you get. Heavy 200 ponds plus.

------------------

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 08-15-2001).]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.