AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... I'm looking to upgrade my 12 yr old HK AVR445 receiver. It has 65 watts/channel for 7 channels, and I'd like to get something with some more juice (looking at this option before moving to seps).

I only use the L/C/R channels, and I don't need a ton of fancy features. The only one I would def want, is to be able to play my iPhone 7 Apple Music on it, pref through Bluetooth. Other than that, just a high powered AVR is my focus.

New or used is fine, budget is flexible, any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add, in case someone needs the info, I just upgraded my speakers to Wharfedale Reva-4 towers and Reva-C center.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but those old H/K receivers were "high powered". Harmon was one of just 2 (or 3 at most) manufacturers that rated their amplifier power conservatively into all channels driven. I'd bet that that your receiver has more power than many of the receivers manufactured today with all channels driven simultaneously. If you need a new receiver, look for features like bluetooth or built in music apps, or get a decent 3 channel external amp.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but those old H/K receivers were "high powered". Harmon was one of just 2 (or 3 at most) manufacturers that rated their amplifier power conservatively into all channels driven. I'd bet that that your receiver has more power than many of the receivers manufactured today with all channels driven simultaneously. If you need a new receiver, look for features like bluetooth or built in music apps, or get a decent 3 channel external amp.
Yes, but the OP only wants to drive 3 speakers. If there's an intent to go to more, then the many-channel capacity would be more relevant.

I haven't seen any reviews that measure an AVR in 3 channels. https://www.soundandvision.com/ tests AVRs with a variety of channels driven, but usually not 3. I imagine that the available power for 3 channels wouldn't be vastly less than the spec'd power for 2.

What's the budget?

A Denon AVR-S920W (2016 model) might be OK, if you can find them wherever you are at a decent price. (In the US, I'd suggest a factory refurb from accessories4less.) 90W/channel at 8 ohms, 2 channels driven. Tolerant of 4 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... so, it seems I need to start looking at 3 or 5 channel amps, and a separate surround processor. I'd hate to make a lateral move on power, just to get that one feature I'd like in a new AVR.

·
Registered
28,567 Posts
Bluetooth is lower quality audio compared to what you could get using Airplay which most receivers have nowadays. They also have Bluetooth if you're so inclined to use that format.

Maybe look at refurbs from accessories4less.com which come with mfrs warranty. Yamaha Aventage have 18 month warranty while Denon will have 12 months. You didn't provide a budget so not sure how much you're willing to spend.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Both have Airplay and Bluetooth plus preouts in case you want to add an external amp later.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Just about any AVR that I know of will offer, at best, a 2 dB increase in power over what you have now. Which is not noticeable to a casual listener.

The available power output of an AVR is best evaluated by its rated power into 4-ohm loads (both stereo channels driven). This will indicate the total power available from the power supply to one, two or five channels, divided up according to loudspeaker impedance, program content and settings.

For those with AVRs who want it louder, there are two options: get an AVR with preamp outputs that will drive high-power amplifiers, or get speakers with higher sensitivity. (Costco sells a Yamaha will pre-outs for under five Benjamins.)

In most situations, getting more efficient speakers will prove to be a more satisfactory solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, good to know about the BT vs AirPlay! i will look for a processor with AirPlay and preouts for an amp with 200 or so wpc. Id like to be in the $2-2.5k range all done. I will look at those options you sent me.

My speakers are new, so, buying a new set is not really feasible. They're 88 for the towers and 87 for the center.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bluetooth is lower quality audio compared to what you could get using Airplay which most receivers have nowadays. They also have Bluetooth if you're so inclined to use that format.

Maybe look at refurbs from accessories4less.com which come with mfrs warranty. Yamaha Aventage have 18 month warranty while Denon will have 12 months. You didn't provide a budget so not sure how much you're willing to spend.

Both have Airplay and Bluetooth plus preouts in case you want to add an external amp later.
Just looked them over... if I'm going to use a sep amp, should I just go with the Denon with the Audyssey and roll the cash saved into the amp? Or, is that Yamaha better?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Just looked them over... if I'm going to use a sep amp, should I just go with the Denon with the Audyssey and roll the cash saved into the amp? Or, is that Yamaha better?
You could go with either, both should work fine. From anecdotal evidence Audyssey does more manipulation than YPAO when it comes to room correction, which some people prefer and some people don't, but both are well regarded.

Pair either up with a nice 3-channel amp like this D-Sonic unit and you'll be ready to roll.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts