AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering upgrading my current 10-year-old Klipsch reference system (just the LCR speakers) to a DIY speaker set up for my dedicated HT room. Right now I'm working on two full sized Marty’s with UXL-18's.

Here is a pic of my front end, no false wall, and I still need to pick up carpeting

With a Marty in each corner, I really don't have room for my Klipsch towers so I was thinking about building the LCR speaker and placing them below the screen. I was thinking of a speaker that resembles a traditional theater speaker such as this Klipsch:

I'm looking for a complete DIY kit that fits this bill and hopefully puts my current Klipsch reference system to shame. I have looked at the kits from http://www.diysoundgroup.com and http://www.parts-express.com/ but I have no idea which one is the best choice.

Again, I’m looking for a kit that is HT orientated only. Time is a major factor so I don't have a lot of time for researching.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Monkey,

Gorgeous theater. Looks sophisticated, but ready to get down to business : ) I'm gonna subscribe to your thread because LCR, and even surround replacement is something I will be looking at down the road.

You mentioned a complete diy kit, but you also said that you were short on time. So, i wanted to mention that recently I was at forum member Edoggrc51's house. He had a pair of the Chasehometheater Sho-10's:
http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=142&vmcchk=1&Itemid=142

I was shocked by how dynamic, and clean they sounded for movies, as well as the fact that they basically did so while having the form factor of a bookshelf.

ok, back up to the top with your thread....

: )

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings  /t/1521707/looking-for-a-ht-only-di...sch-reference-lcr-speakers/0_20#post_24459380

Monkey,

Gorgeous theater. Looks sophisticated, but ready to get down to business : ) I'm gonna subscribe to your thread because LCR, and even surround replacement is something I will be looking at down the road.

You mentioned a complete diy kit, but you also said that you were short on time. So, i wanted to mention that recently I was at forum member Edoggrc51's house. He had a pair of the Chasehometheater Sho-10's:
http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=142&vmcchk=1&Itemid=142

I was shocked by how dynamic, and clean they sounded for movies, as well as the fact that they basically did so while having the form factor of a bookshelf.

ok, back up to the top with your thread....

: )

Hey thanks, the room build was a ton of work, but it will be worth it. I checked the chasehometheater out and it looks like TBD for new orders. I wonder if they are still making them? I was looking at http://www.diysoundgroup.com and it looks like the Fusion 12 Tempest or the Fusion 10 Pure kit are pretty well reviewed there. I know there are a bunch of build threads regarding the http://www.diysoundgroup.com , I just wanted to check here first in case there are other options out there. I just don't want to go through the work and expense to find my Klipsch reference performs better.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had the SHO-10s and miss their size. However, the Tempests that I built blow them away in every category. The only other kit that I'd consider is the Tux 1099. Maybe build a pair just to see if the 3-way is worth it (and I believe it is).

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
The Fusion 12 Tempest would easily best what ever Klipsch Reference setup you currently have, they would even best the newer RF-7ii and RC-64ii if you were wondering. That is the route that I would take. Also, if you really want to push the envelope you could do a Seos-15 + BMS-4550 + AE TD15 build! That might only be marginally better than the Fusion-12 Tempest, though. If you wanted to do something unique, you could build a clone of that Klipsch KL-650 that you posted a picture of. I can't remember off the top of my head which horn & drivers it uses, but I do remember reading that you could find them for an absurdly low amount of money. I remember reading that the horn that is used in the KL-650 is like $12 each!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Subscribed. I'm looking to upgrade from my Klipsch reference set too, and will need to be bookshelf form too so I can stack them on top of my subwoofers.

I was leaning towards a pair of Fusion Tempest and Fusion MTM, but I'm very interested in the feedbacks you get in this thread.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt  /t/1521707/looking-for-a-ht-only-di...-klipsch-reference-lcr-speakers#post_24461617

Grab some JBL 3677s and call it a day, around $500 per

Oh wait, DIY forum. Get a fusion 15 kit
They are smaller though so they have that advantage.

+1

I have heard the klipsch reference line and I know you'll be VERY happy with an upgrade like this. I haven't heard the tempests or the sents, but I know the value of true high sensitivity and clear low distortion sound. Whole other level. Awesome setup by the way, looks awesome!!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts

Erich is supposed to come out with a speaker that resembles the Klipsch speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1291022/hey-guys-we-need-a-little-rallying-here/9300_100#post_24433216

Here's a design currently being worked on. The woofers shown in the photo are not the ones that will be used. I just put them in to see what rear mounting the woofers looked like and how hard they were to install. In the end, I chose to front mount the woofers that will be used. This is a SEOS-15, DNA-360, with dual 8" woofers underneath. The box is 18" tall and I think 21" wide. Depth might get shallower than the photo, not sure yet. Also not 100% sure on the side slot ports yet.

I wanted to do a design like this so that someone could use the same exact speaker for left, right, and center without them being too tall. With an 18" height, it should please a lot of people.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very nice design. I keep strugling between 12" or 15" 2 way compared to a more manageable design like the Klipsch LCR. Zaph's measurements and positive remarks on the 18Sound 6ND430 has me thinking they could work well in a compact MTM or TMM. Dual 8 would be pretty good though & perhaps best compromise. Back to lurking forever.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1521707/looking-for-a-ht-only-di...ch-reference-lcr-speakers/0_100#post_24461416

The Fusion 12 Tempest would easily best what ever Klipsch Reference setup you currently have, they would even best the newer RF-7ii and RC-64ii if you were wondering. That is the route that I would take. Also, if you really want to push the envelope you could do a Seos-15 + BMS-4550 + AE TD15 build! That might only be marginally better than the Fusion-12 Tempest, though. If you wanted to do something unique, you could build a clone of that Klipsch KL-650 that you posted a picture of. I can't remember off the top of my head which horn & drivers it uses, but I do remember reading that you could find them for an absurdly low amount of money. I remember reading that the horn that is used in the KL-650 is like $12 each!

Most consumer speakers use tweets and woofers that are cheap; it's how they make margin and sell speakers at a price point consumers want to pay. That's why a DIY for the same cost is almost always a better value.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I have been looking high and low for a very high end budget diy LCR build as well….funny when you say that how weird it sounds…haha I see 300$ a speaker pretty budget. I use Paradigm Reference Studio 20's now. The Paradigms always sound a little "boxed" in to me. Maybe like they create their own reverb, for lack of better words on my part. 

During my searches on the net, I keep coming back to the fusion 12's. My question is what are you really gaining over the Karma 12's? For the cost savings on a LCR build, I'm over halfway to a THT sub I want to build as well. Does anyone know anything about the difference? Opinions on drivers? Also for the money difference I could purchase the box as well and not have to worry about building it…not that its hard….but you know what I'm saying.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man  /t/1521707/looking-for-a-ht-only-di...sch-reference-lcr-speakers/0_50#post_24459073

I’m considering upgrading my current 10-year-old Klipsch reference system (just the LCR speakers) to a DIY speaker set up for my dedicated HT room. Right now I'm working on two full sized Marty’s with UXL-18's.

Here is a pic of my front end, no false wall, and I still need to pick up carpeting

With a Marty in each corner, I really don't have room for my Klipsch towers so I was thinking about building the LCR speaker and placing them below the screen. I was thinking of a speaker that resembles a traditional theater speaker such as this Klipsch:

I'm looking for a complete DIY kit that fits this bill and hopefully puts my current Klipsch reference system to shame. I have looked at the kits from http://www.diysoundgroup.com and http://www.parts-express.com/ but I have no idea which one is the best choice.

Again, I’m looking for a kit that is HT orientated only. Time is a major factor so I don't have a lot of time for researching.

Beautiful looking front sound stage!

How much room (height) do you have under your screen for your speakers? And can you cut wood for your own project? (what I'm getting at, is can you customize a large enclosure if you have to?) Is there a per speaker budget?

+++

BTW I have the Fusion 10's as a L/F in a 5.1 living room setup, if you have any questions about that speaker.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80  /t/1521707/looking-for-a-ht-only-di...-klipsch-reference-lcr-speakers#post_24469360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man  /t/1521707/looking-for-a-ht-only-di...sch-reference-lcr-speakers/0_50#post_24459073

Beautiful looking front sound stage!

How much room (height) do you have under your screen for your speakers? And can you cut wood for your own project? (what I'm getting at, is can you customize a large enclosure if you have to?) Is there a per speaker budget?

+++

BTW I have the Fusion 10's as a L/F in a 5.1 living room setup, if you have any questions about that speaker.

How do you like your fusion 10's? I have a larger room. 21' by about 18'. I'm looking to build these but I don't want to overkill. If the 10s would work I would probably jut build those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamray7914  /t/1521707/looking-for-a-ht-only-di...-klipsch-reference-lcr-speakers#post_24469117

I have been looking high and low for a very high end budget diy LCR build as well….funny when you say that how weird it sounds…haha I see 300$ a speaker pretty budget. I use Paradigm Reference Studio 20's now. The Paradigms always sound a little "boxed" in to me. Maybe like they create their own reverb, for lack of better words on my part. 

During my searches on the net, I keep coming back to the fusion 12's. My question is what are you really gaining over the Karma 12's? For the cost savings on a LCR build, I'm over halfway to a THT sub I want to build as well. Does anyone know anything about the difference? Opinions on drivers? Also for the money difference I could purchase the box as well and not have to worry about building it…not that its hard….but you know what I'm saying.

Thoughts?

Karma is the lowest line. It gets your foot in the door.

Then Fusion is the best value line I think? Some can correct me on that one. Uses better drivers/crossover.

Then Alpha line is just the best parts possible?

Fusion 12 has higher power handling, digs lower, better drivers (Eminence Delta Pro vs Eminence Delta), maybe a higher sensitivity? Not sure since Karma's isn't listed ont eh Karma 12.

The box you still have to assemble by the way.

That's just the rough amount my noob self knows lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts