AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to cut the cable and want to go with the OTA > TV / HDHomeRun for viewing and recording media.

After some research, it looks like using a PC or HTPC is the best way to go when compared to set-top-boxes

Now, I don't know how to build a PC.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for either slim factor PC's or any decent pre-built HTPC's to do basic stuff --

Watch/Record 1080p

Streaming audio/video

Small SSD for OS/programs

Data on external USB/NAS

No high end gaming

Ability to connect both HDMI/Analog TV's

etc

Many thanks!

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
How important is the analog TV requirement? Are you really going to be connecting an analog TV directly , or would that be through an extender? If it's through an extender, that simplifies things quite a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need that temporarily as my main HDTV is down (needs some time/$ to get it back) and so I'm back on my old TV for the moment.

Will another extender be needed...even with HDHomerun?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been happy with the Lenovo Q190 with the Celeron. If you look for the promo codes, they can be had for $265 delivered. Comes with Win8 Std, and a 500G hard drive.

I use the Netflix Win 8 Metro App (which is actually pretty sweet), Hulu Desktop, and MediaPortal as my PVR. If you do not need CableCard support, then you don't need to upgrade to Win 8 Pro for WMC -- just use the LAV codecs that come standard with MediaPortal and it will connect fine to the Homerun. I'm using WebEPG off of imdb as my program guide and it works fine.

The Q190 has VGA out, so to connect to an older TV you might still need a converter from Monoprice, but it is do-able for not too much.

I haven't played with it much, but my Samsung HDTV from a couple of years ago can stream the recorded files from my Q190 using the Anyshare app that is built in to the TV (essentially a DLNA client). Even the Celeron seems to be able to record and stream in parallel. There is also a more expensive i3 version.

Have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkp  /t/1469883/looking-for-a-htpc-slim-factor-pc-or-pre-built-htpc#post_23245615

I've been happy with the Lenovo Q190 with the Celeron. If you look for the promo codes, they can be had for $265 delivered. Comes with Win8 Std, and a 500G hard drive.

I use the Netflix Win 8 Metro App (which is actually pretty sweet), Hulu Desktop, and MediaPortal as my PVR. If you do not need CableCard support, then you don't need to upgrade to Win 8 Pro for WMC -- just use the LAV codecs that come standard with MediaPortal and it will connect fine to the Homerun. I'm using WebEPG off of imdb as my program guide and it works fine.

The Q190 has VGA out, so to connect to an older TV you might still need a converter from Monoprice, but it is do-able for not too much.

I haven't played with it much, but my Samsung HDTV from a couple of years ago can stream the recorded files from my Q190 using the Anyshare app that is built in to the TV (essentially a DLNA client). Even the Celeron seems to be able to record and stream in parallel. There is also a more expensive i3 version.

Have fun!

I will checkout MediaPortal as I can use it on my current XP lappy (interim until I get 'the HTPC)

I was looking at Intel NUC.. how is that Lenovo Q190? I read that is has issues playing 1080p streaming videos!..

·
Registered
12 Posts
don't research any more. go directly to assassinhtpc.com. pay a little more for an outstanding build and great tech help.

best pc decision i ever made by far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Q190 is working fine for me streaming 1080p over a wired gigabit network. I think some folks have had trouble with the wireless and needed to fiddle with the drivers.

Have you perused this thread? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157563

I considered both Intel NUC and Assassin HTPC. On Intel NUC, priced out overall higher than the Q190 (after hard drive, OS, and memory -- though if you have any of these available that might change your answer) and I've never tried to load my own OS before. Assassin HTPC is very impressive, likely better suited, more upgradeable, etc. -- but more expensive. For my personal hassle vs. cost vs. value curve, the Q190 came out ahead and I've been happy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
For anybody looking, the Q190 is available at $249 (using a coupon) for the base configuration (no ODD I believe). I found the deal at techbargains.com and just ordered one to play with...

Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 Intel Celeron 887 Mini Desktop (4GB/500GB) $249.

Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "USPQ500425" (Exp 5/3). Tax in most.

The Q190 is one of the smallest desktops you can find that runs Windows 8. Features 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drive, 802.11n wifi, card reader, HDMI-out, and includes Windows 8 operating system.

- Peter Helmers

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelmers  /t/1469883/looking-for-a-htpc-slim-factor-pc-or-pre-built-htpc#post_23263441

For anybody looking, the Q190 is available at $249 (using a coupon) for the base configuration (no ODD I believe). I found the deal at techbargains.com and just ordered one to play with...

Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 Intel Celeron 887 Mini Desktop (4GB/500GB) $249.

Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "USPQ500425" (Exp 5/3). Tax in most.

The Q190 is one of the smallest desktops you can find that runs Windows 8. Features 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drive, 802.11n wifi, card reader, HDMI-out, and includes Windows 8 operating system.

- Peter Helmers

thanks! ordered

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you're willing to get a used PC on eBay I have had great luck with used HP Business Desktops like DC5800, DC7800 & DC7900. I just recently got one for $62.00 shipped. Just install a cheap HDMI Low profile video card like a 5450 or 6450.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry about the delay in responding.

this is what i got from Assassin:

Prestige Series

Case: Premium: 17.3” x 12.7” x 5.9” (Micro-ATX MB)

Processor: Ivy Bridge i7 3770 3.4 GHz w/ HD 4000 Graphics

Motherboard: Z77 (Intel)

Hard Drive: 3TB

SSD: 128GB

Optical Drive: Blu-ray Burner

RAM: 16GB

Power Supply: 300w Bronze

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX550 Ti

Remote w/ USB IR Receiver

Windows 7: Home Premium

Assassin Complete Software Setup

Without a doubt one of the best purchases that i ever made. This thing gets endless usage, and is still blazing fast after almost a year later. This beast handles everything that i throw it's way.

I will be returning to Assassin for a server purchase in the future. Their customer service is awesome. You definitely get what you pay for!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts