AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a low cost JRPG at or around $20 to play over the Christmas downtime.

I really haven't played many of the PS3 rpgs (just FFXIII) so some older titles would be just fine.

Newegg shows Eternal Sonata as $15 w/ free shipping. Anything more compelling in the price range?

Thanks.

-Suntan

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
ES is solid if you like old school styled JRPGs, especially if you like music composed by Chopin. I'd recommend some of the more modern ones, like

- Valkyria Chronicles (turn-based tactical RPG)

- Folklore (action RPG)

- Demons Souls (action RPG)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
There's also White Knight Story, which I have heard... mixed things about.

Also, 3D Dot Game Heroes is a Zelda NES clone which some people like.

Unfortunately, there's not much. I would go with Demon's Souls or Resonance of Fate.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/19615362

ES is solid if you like old school styled JRPGs, especially if you like music composed by Chopin. I'd recommend some of the more modern ones, like

- Valkyria Chronicles (turn-based tactical RPG)

- Folklore (action RPG)

- Demons Souls (action RPG)

+1 for all those.

Also, don't know how it is right now in the US but here in Canada, BB is selling Folklore for 9.99$. That's Bargin bin price

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
White Knight is meh, unless you get in to the online challenges, town building.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/19615421

There's also White Knight Story, which I have heard... mixed things about.

Also, 3D Dot Game Heroes is a Zelda NES clone which some people like.

Unfortunately, there's not much. I would go with Demon's Souls or Resonance of Fate.

Demon Souls and Resonance of Fate are top tier, indeed.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies /forum/post/19623289

you can get demons souls for 20 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111eleven

$23 from Amazon w/ free shipping.

But I'm not interested in Demon's Souls. I'm officially tired out on western RPGs.

I'm leaning towards giving Valkyria Chronicles a try, although I wasn't overly thrilled with its demo when I tried it a while back.

-Suntan

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Resonance of Fate, again. Don't listen to the reviews they all missed the mark. I have ot say it was more fun than FF. If you ever played Shadow Hearts on PS2 you'll "get" it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adesina /forum/post/19624176

Hi, 15$ from amazon. i' am not interested in demon soul's

thank you

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies /forum/post/19624070

all those JRPG's are gay in comparison to the awesomeness that demons souls is... you're really missing out if you haven't played it yet

I'll keep a look out for the gayness, thanks Demon's Souls just doesn't interest me right now.

I ordered Valkyria Chronicles from Newegg last night while picking up a new switch. I'll see if I warm to the playing style.

I'll keep Resonance of Fate and Eternal Sonata in the back pocket. That should more than last me until Uncharted 3 comes out.

-Suntan

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Demon's Souls is pretty much the polar opposite of a JRPG. I imagine Suntan is looking for a more casual / relaxing gaming experience, which DS is not.

If you have a 360 in addition to a PS3 I'd recommend Lost Odyssey.

Eternal Sonata was a bit meh, the storyline was really "soft" and the combat wasn't anything great either.

I'm probably alone in this but I really enjoyed Enchanted Arms. Decent story, extremely quirky japanese-style sense of humor, and the combat was a perfect mix between strategy-rpg and regular turn based j-rpg. This game is definitely not for everyone though and is not a AAA jrpg title by any means.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
JRPG = fully turn based.

Action game = press a button to see that action immediately.

Demon's souls is definitely NOT a JRPG.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/19625444

JRPG = fully turn based.

Action game = press a button to see that action immediately.

Demon's souls is definitely NOT a JRPG.

I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to label JRPGs as fully turn based (most of them aren't anymore anyway.) Certainly not a defining trait between J and W RPGs anyway. After all, all the original western RPG computer games were fully turn based, because that's all computers could handle at the time (and yet, they offered a strategic RPG play that is lost in today's games.)

I digress Personally, I'm just burned out on Western RPGs. I couldn't get more than 7 hours through Dragon Age before I stopped playing it. Based on what I have read/saw, I would assume Demon's Souls to be similar.

If that makes me gay, then just don't tell my wife and kids.

-Suntan

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/19625532

I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to label JRPGs as fully turn based (most of them aren't anymore anyway.) Certainly not a defining trait between J and W RPGs anyway. After all, all the original western RPG computer games were fully turn based, because that's all computers could handle at the time (and yet, they offered a strategic RPG play that is lost in today's games.)

I digress Personally, I'm just burned out on Western RPGs. I couldn't get more than 7 hours through Dragon Age before I stopped playing it. Based on what I have read/saw, I would assume Demon's Souls to be similar.

-Suntan

I guess that's true, I just see most Western RPGs as more action focused and less strategy focused.

As for Demon's Souls compared to Dragon Age, they're nothing alike. Hell, From Software = Japanese company. I'd have to agree on getting burned out by Dragon Age. Of course, DA is technically turn based but appears more action oriented.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:

I agree with what you said and I am kind of disappointed that turn based RPGs seem to be going away. I personally haven't really got into WRPGs, I bought Fallout 3 expecting great things, but was one of the few that were let down by it.

Quote:

-Suntan

Demon's Souls is one of my favourite games, really different from other games. You really have to think about how to approach things in DS or you will die pretty quick, it really adds some strategy to it, especially boss fights.

Meanwhile, if you do find some good turn based JRPGs be sure to post them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts