AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I’m about to return my LG HU810p. It had fantastic picture quality and so many nice features but two issues really soured me on it:

1) laser speckle on any non-white screen. I had a Cinegray 3D screen when I first got the LG and intended to keep using it, but the amount of red/orange laser speckle was absolutely crazy. I ended up trying three screens and settled on a cheap Qualgear .9 gray one. People in the LG thread have tried tons of screens with basically no luck on anything with ALR, even on quite expensive screens. The Qualgear still had a small amount of speckle, but was subtle enough I would’ve kept the PJ, but then…..

2) I noticed laser whine. Super high pitched electronic noise coming out of the LG. You could lessen it by dimming the lasers in the energy saving menu, but even at the lowest setting the whine was still there. I have tinitus and the noise from the LG was aggravating it quite a bit.

I loved how quiet (besides the whine) and bright the LG was, I loved how fast it started, and also loved not having to worry about bulb replacement or dimming.

So, my question is: with the sudden abundance of laser projectors, can anybody point me in the direction of one that has features or design that would help mitigate these two issues? I put this in the over $3k forum, but wish I could cross post to the under $3k too. I’d be willing to spend up to $4k for the right PJ.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
The new laser Epson's (LS11000W & LS12000B) might float your boat. They are £4100-£4400 in the UK. :)

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Hello there,

I’m about to return my LG HU810p. It had fantastic picture quality and so many nice features but two issues really soured me on it:

1) laser speckle on any non-white screen. I had a Cinegray 3D screen when I first got the LG and intended to keep using it, but the amount of red/orange laser speckle was absolutely crazy. I ended up trying three screens and settled on a cheap Qualgear .9 gray one. People in the LG thread have tried tons of screens with basically no luck on anything with ALR, even on quite expensive screens. The Qualgear still had a small amount of speckle, but was subtle enough I would’ve kept the PJ, but then…..

2) I noticed laser whine. Super high pitched electronic noise coming out of the LG. You could lessen it by dimming the lasers in the energy saving menu, but even at the lowest setting the whine was still there. I have tinitus and the noise from the LG was aggravating it quite a bit.

I loved how quiet (besides the whine) and bright the LG was, I loved how fast it started, and also loved not having to worry about bulb replacement or dimming.

So, my question is: with the sudden abundance of laser projectors, can anybody point me in the direction of one that has features or design that would help mitigate these two issues? I put this in the over $3k forum, but wish I could cross post to the under $3k too. I’d be willing to spend up to $4k for the right PJ.
There's no such thing as 'laser whine". There was probably a defect in the optical pixel shift mechanism (coil whine), which has to operate at a very high frequency, or perhaps a defective fan. I'd suggest simply exchanging your LG for a new unit. I am sensitive to high pitched noise and my HU810 doesn't have any, after more than a 600 hrs of use. The more I use my LG the more I am impressed with it. I wish it had 3D capability though.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
12,348 Posts
Apparently not coming to NAFTA anytime soon.
Do electronics always pass through the North America Free Trade Agreement in order to go on sale in North America? :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just use a white screen if it solves the speckle issue. That's what I have. Elunevision 4K 1.0 gain. No speckle issue. I've replied in the LG thread about the grounding loop whine and the two solutions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts