AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have front hight speakers hanging on custom sound Anchor racks 81" above the foor. The speakers i want to purchase to hang on the racks are JTR slanted 8's with a 30 degree baffle angle to them. What is the minimum seating distance for this type of speaker at that hight so that the sound is at ear level? Mounting the speakers on the wall or the ceiling is not an option at this point and my ceiling is only 8 feet high anyway. I'm affraid that with that baffle angle they will end up firing into my lap if they were angled towards the LP.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Assuming seated ear level is 3 feet, the seated distance from the height speakers should be 6 feet 6 inches for the 30 degree baffles to aim at ear level.

In real application, don't be too concerned. In fact, height speakers as well as surround speakers, produce a diffused sound that is not necessarily intended to be aimed at the listener.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had the same question as you except I was thinking of getting the JBL 8320.

So is it best to have your heights directed straight out or does it not matter if they are angled down?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaskin /forum/post/20944341

I have had the same question as you except I was thinking of getting the JBL 8320.

So is it best to have your heights directed straight out or does it not matter if they are angled down?

It really is a matter of preference. I think there is a greater sense or presence of "height" and "surround" when the speakers are "directed straight" as you term.

I believe Dolby and THX recommend the same.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think the angle down matters, but from what i understand you dont want them pointed directly at your LP. Now i could be wrong and i am no expert in this area. I have front hights that are angled straight and slightly away from my LP and they give me a nice difuse sound. I think Dolby show them angled straight ahead well above the LP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts