AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a new camera for shooting b-roll around the campus I work at. Here are my needs, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• has to shoot at least 1080p, preferably at at least 60fps
• needs a LANC input
• records to SD cards, or similar media
• XLR inputs a plus
• autofocus for action sports
• has to be able to record events up to 2 hours
• streaming capability a plus

Budget is around $2K, but I may have room to move.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You might want to consider the 4K ready Sony PXW-X70, which is on sale right now for $1999.

This camera is a traditional camcorder with XLR inputs and hours of continuous recording.

It is a good exterior B roll camera, as seen here:

This camera is pretty new, so there are only a few examples out there, but here are a couple of them (please watch at 2160p and your monitor's highest resolution):

Hope this is helpful and good luck with whichever camera you decide to buy!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

·
Registered
6 Posts
ditto for the JVC GY-HM200 (as brunerww suggested)
hands down the easiest for ustream.

the lanc is a standard 2.5mm port (sony/canon compatible but with iris control as well!), while the AX100 needs a patch cable (out of the USBish port). with the adapter VMC-AVM1 you can go out with a sony AV/R port and from there you can get another adapter from AV/R to regular 2.5mm. in a word..it's complicated and the patch cables can get lost easily.

the pictures are stunning out of the AX100 , but the JVC will stun too. What I like on the AX100 is the simplicity of the WB adjustments but the controls are really hard to "touch" or find in the dark.
The JVC is all considered the better camera in my opinion. and it has everything.

autofocus will be easier also with the JVC, because of the smaller sensor and longer DOF compared to the AX100 (or X70). I had both the AX100 and the X70 and the X70 AF hunts a little shooting soccer from the press box, much less with the AX100. The JVC is almost perfect in that regard.
the pictures out of the box are better with the AX100 (saturated enough) while the X70 and HM200 need to be profiled (out of the box are both a little pale) and the white balance MUST be set for both (the WB on the X70 is extremely complicated, a little easier on HM200 but the AX100 gives the best WB control hands down)

if you need more info then just ask, I use the HM200 now and I stream twice a week. very happy with the camera, for sports usually between evening and night.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks Bill! I'll check 'em out. I had the JVC cam on my list previously, so I'll give it another look. Another one I've been looking at is the Canon XA20 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/963139-REG/canon_8453b002_xa20_hd_professional_camcorder.html

Have any experience with it?
Sadly, no - but it is a little outdated, in my view.

It has no professional SDI out, no built-in IP encoder for streaming and it is a 1080p camera in a 4K world.

I wouldn't pay $200 for it.

Best,

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't pay $200 for it. (xa20)
LOL

I have to agree. funny how these things go straight to the obsolete folder in no time. :)

I did use the XA20 , and here's the thing (at least for what I do): I need a fast shutter speed for sports (say 1/100 minimum at night and 1/500 daylight and sunny). So I always set shutter priority (manual) and auto gain and auto iris.
the XA20 gave decent pictures but the AX100 was WAY better, the same for the X70 under the same settings.
now (and that was a surprise, given the size of the sensor and everything) the HM200 is WAY WAY better than both AX100 and X70. Not even close. clean, clean clean. even at night.

hard to believe but it's true (again for my setup): it's not even half inch and outperforms the 1" sensors in low light. who knew...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts