AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to start upgrading from what I have now. Right now I have a 5.1 onkyo setup from a HTIB. The receiver I have is the HT-R540 and will be upgrading everything eventually. Since I will be mainly using the system for movies and games I thought a sub would be the best thing to upgrade first. The sub that came with it is just very underwhelming and would like something that gives movies and games more of a punch. The room is roughly 12x12 with an attached open kitchen. I would really prefer a new sub but open to getting a used one if I can get a really good price. Some subs I have been looking at are the HSU VTF-3(new) for $629 or the Velodyne 10" spl 1000r(used) for $685. I would like to keep under $800 if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated and am open to getting something other than a sub to start upgrading with if that's a better option.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My budget is $800 as well and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the Elemental Designs A5-350. (Just trying to smooth over the WAF) It is a 15" ported beast and about as good as you can get for 800 plus it includes shipping and I think right now they are on sale for 3% off! I suggest you take a look at their website if you are going to spend anything over $400. SVS makes awesome subs too and I currently own one but they don't have a sub in that $800 price range, only below it or way above it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went to test out some subs at a local home audio store. They didn't have much selection in terms of subs. The only line they carried in my price range were the REL T1 and T3. I know the T1 is a bit above my budget I thought it sounded pretty good paired with the monitor audio GS-10's as fronts, but after returning home I did some more research and saw that most people don't recommend the T1 for watching movies primarily. The $800 limit is not a hard limit and was still wondering if anybody else has inputs on subs.

After listening to the MA GS-10's I was really impressed with those and might end up getting a pair of those.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told by a friend to check out some SVS subs and the eD A5 - 350 Subwoofer. Is anything by SVS or eD better than the REL T1 for movies and gaming that are close to the $800ish price range.

Once again thanks for any help.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't suppose your $800 could be bumped up to include shipping? You would have to pay something close to the shipping if you buy local anyway with tax.

If so, you might look at the Epik Empire for just $799. My brother-in-law just got one last week and he's ecstatic. Dual 15" sealed - it does everything beyond his hopes. Check out the Epik thread to see what owners are saying.

Also, here's a link to an very interesting thread with two brothers having a sub-shoot-out, which will include the Empire, a Hsu, a craigsub CHT 18.1, and an eD (can't recall the #). http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1290726

My BIL visited my place over Thanksgiving and he loved my Seaton SubMersive HP which is the basis for Epik's design on the Empire and Legend. Based on the amazing job the dual 15" sealed opposing design can do, he decided to get the Epik (which is half the $$ my SubMersive cost) because he has a bit smaller room than I do.

Good luck and enjoy the pounding to come...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For size and weight reasons it looks like, at least for right now I am going to go with the CS18.1. Should I be worried about it being too overpowering in a relatively small room,

·
Registered
996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn107 /forum/post/19636305

For size and weight reasons it looks like, at least for right now I am going to go with the CS18.1. Should I be worried about it being too overpowering in a relatively small room,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well things didn't go as planned. I went to the store to pick up the MA gs10s there was some guy listening to them and ended up buying them lol, just my luck. So I tested a bunch of other speakers and ended up getting the MA gs60s for $1500. This was a little bit more than I was planning on spending for speakers especially when I was looking for a new sub. So the sub is going to have to wait a little bit before I buy it, at least until after Christmas.

After hooking the gs60s up just about an hour all I can saw is wow what an upgrade. I can't believe what a difference these made. I am very impressed so far and even the low frequencies in these speakers alone are way better than the sub I am currently running. I will let all of you guys know that have been helping me decide when I upgrade my sub and my thoughts about that.

Once again thanks for all of your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts