AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good DVD player to couple with my new either 32 or 37" Sharp Aquos TV. My Onkyo SR504 receiver does not have HDMI so having it does not make a difference to me.

I know the OPPO OPDV971 DVD player is priced around $199, I was just wondering if picture wise for upconversion if there is a big enough difference in my case to merit spending that amount, or if it is really not worth it and i'd be better with something much less. If it is just a slight difference in picture it's probably not worth it and it is more worth me getting an inexpensive dvd player and buying an HD player next winter when the prices should have dropped. Since I will not be using HDMI, is it still worth buying that player/

Just wondering for an opinion as I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Any thoughts or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~J

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaj2k /forum/post/0

I'm looking for a good DVD player to couple with my new either 32 or 37" Sharp Aquos TV. My Onkyo SR504 receiver does not have HDMI so having it does not make a difference to me.

I know the OPPO OPDV971 DVD player is priced around $199, I was just wondering if picture wise for upconversion if there is a big enough difference in my case to merit spending that amount, or if it is really not worth it and i'd be better with something much less. If it is just a slight difference in picture it's probably not worth it and it is more worth me getting an inexpensive dvd player and buying an HD player next winter when the prices should have dropped. Since I will not be using HDMI, is it still worth buying that player/

Just wondering for an opinion as I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Any thoughts or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~J

Can't you go HDMI to the display and run separate audio to the receiver?

The 971 is a DVI machine. The other ports are not recommended for real use. If you don't have a DVI or HDMI connection, it's not for you.

Although still supported, the 971 is no longer in production. Oppo still has the 970 ($149) and the 981 ($229).

As to whether it's worth it: it depends on how fanatical you are about your DVDs. I think good deinterlacing gets you about 90% of the way there, and the Oppos have good deinterlacing (especially the 971 and 981). The rest of the upscaling business is an attempt to squeeze the last few percent out of 480i DVDs.

It depends on your gear, your eyes, and your viewing preferences. I can see the difference on my 37" Westinghouse: 720p and 1080p look better than 480p. Not night and day, but enough that I want it.

You could also consider the new HD players, which also upscale SD-DVD, some better than others.

-Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.