AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

Looking for a new TV, so I'm here where the experts are for everyone to weigh in.

The particulars:

11.5 feet from my eyes to the screen. I'm thinking at that distance I need either a 60 or 65 inch unit, right?

Plasma or LCD, don't care. The room isn't terribly bright.

I'd really like to be under 2500 bucks. Under 2000 would be great.

I could care less about 3D.

So, where does that put me? I don't need to purchase soon, so if one of the marquee 2013 sets still has legs to drop in price I'm game.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am no expert, but you have about the right size set in mined, and just about any of the big box store brands well do the job. What I would keep in mind there is a new world coming in video resolution so if I were in the market for a new set I would spent as little I could get away with. In say three years the 4K screens will have taken over and if you are anything like me it's going to be time for an upgrade. We have a 65inch Vizio in the living room HT that 3 years old and plan to get another 3 out of it before we go $4K. Just a weather forecast.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm fixing to replace my Samsung 56" DLP. It's 6 years old now, maybe 7. At this point I have to put it in Dynamic mode to get a decent picture out of it. I don't think I can wait another 3 years ....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C'mon guys have a little mercy on me. I'm watching TV w/ a friggin' light bulb here ....

·
Registered
216 Posts
At your price if your looking for absolute best 1080p picture right now the 2013 pn60f8500 plasma from Samsung, or look for one of the Panasonic plasmas before they are gone since they have been discontinued. The Samsung does better in lit room. If your looking for a good led in that price then the Sony w900a is an awesome TV but will soon be replaced by an inferior television. None of the 4k televisions will be that low in price till later in the year when Vizio sells their P series. Otherwise your only option at that price are Chinese televisions that are a mixed bag. If you game or leave the TV on Alot with static images like news stations the Sony w900a would be a better option, plasmas are much hardier than they use to but still get temporary retention and that bothers some folks, but it's much harder to get permanent image retention on them these days. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a older Panasonic S1 Plasma that I game on in my man cave. The TV I'm looking to purchase will be used for Cable TV and Apple TV.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well then any of those 3 I listed would be great they have the best picture for 1080p unless you get one of them sharp elites that aren't around anymore.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This model seems to rate high in the value category from CNET:

LC-60LE650

For 1k, looks like it went punch for punch w/ the higher priced R550A from Sony. I'm piping sound into my AVR, so the crappy speakers aren't a issue.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dunno I've not owned a sharp before but from what I've read they are built like tanks and last quite a long time but generally aren't as packed with features. But on the other hand I'm quite interested in their new UQ series of TV's. From what I've seen so far from other members on the forums the next step down sq models are pretty nice for the price. I've not seen one in person but they look promising.

·
Registered
216 Posts
IMHO the Samsung f7100 at 5 inches smaller will give better picture quality over the 65 inch Samsung f6400 between those choices in order ID go f7100 the sharp then the Sony with the Samsung f6400 last the f7100 is pretty nice tv

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes it is, but picture quality is better, I'm not saying the sharps picture is bad but on that model it's not quite as good and for me better picture quality is the tie breaker if I can afford it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Why not the Sony 65W850A? Very similar PQ to the W900A. It is 2100-2200 @ HH Greg and Sony EPP. Just look on slickdeals

·
Registered
216 Posts
The w850a has half the motion flow rating and is missing the deep black panel, and doesn't have quantum dots that the w900a has. And compared side to side visual there is quite a difference. The w900a is to 1080p that the x900a is to 4k for Sony.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam  /t/1522191/looking-for-a-new-lcd-tv#post_24473677

Yes it is, but picture quality is better, I'm not saying the sharps picture is bad but on that model it's not quite as good and for me better picture quality is the tie breaker if I can afford it.

Yes, but is it $800 bucks better? That's what I need to come to grips with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That depends on you, some people buy cheaper TV's more frequently and others spend a lot and keep for a long time. I tend to be the person who pays more for picture quality than anything else and then hold onto the TV longer. So I can't decide for you if it's worth $800, I'm sorry that's not much help.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but this is where my search has placed me:

UN60F7100

UN65F6400
PN64F5500

I have absolutely no issues w/ Plasma, and the bolded choice seems to offer a lot of quality for the same price as the other two. Plus a nice size upgrade over the F7100.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin  /t/1522191/looking-for-a-new-lcd-tv#post_24472384

C'mon guys have a little mercy on me. I'm watching TV w/ a friggin' light bulb here ....

Try getting a new bulb for your DLP, and I guess I am assuming something here. Do that and hold on for the new world of 4K just around the corner.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you prefer plasma over led I'd go for it then, I avoid plasma because I play xbox one on them and temporary image retention bugs me. But picture wise plasma is nice

1 - 20 of 24 Posts