AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm putting together a new system. From the TV to the speakers. The only thing I'm going to use is my 5 channel amp. So instead of buying a receiver, are the any preamp/processors that are worth in the $2000 or less range?

Looking for great sound quality, video up conversion, and would like network attachment.

Any advice? Or am I better off going for a full receiver with everything packed in.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A receiver can be used as a pre pro if it has pre outs. And is a more affordable solution as processors tend to be pricey.

Processors might have hotter pre outs compared to receivers which often have 1v outputs. Gene over at Audioholics talked about this in an article. 1v might not be enough to drive your amp to full power. Look at the amp's input sensitivity.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Really just looking for killer sound quality/ upconversion/ music and movie system for the majority section of a 18x30 room with hard wood floors.

I don't need all the 8million surround effects.... I'll be 5.1. I just want crisp sound, and strong, but not blow your ears, movie watching.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
My vote would also be a very good AVR. The Denon 4308CI would be a good one to give a look into. Already network capable. Plus the extra channels if you decide you want 7.1 in the future. These can be had new for ~$1500. Built in WI-Fi and tons of features.

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT /forum/post/16989259

Thanks guys.

Really just looking for killer sound quality/ upconversion/ music and movie system for the majority section of a 18x30 room with hard wood floors.

I don't need all the 8million surround effects.... I'll be 5.1. I just want crisp sound, and strong, but not blow your ears, movie watching.

The onkyo/integra processors will fit that bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts