AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a regular over in the HTPC forum and decided to take a swim over here... I am looking to upgrade to a new pre-amp from a Sherwood P-965, before that I had a B&K Ref 50 ... looking to spend around ~$2500, don't mind getting a good used product...

I am looking for a good multichannel performer (I have a separate 2Ch sys)

with all the advanced codecs, HDMI, video processing would be a plus , this will pull home theater duty...

I am not oppposed to getting an AVR with pre-outs but I think its a waste to get something and use only 50% of its capability so I'd rather get something that was meant to utilize 100% of the capability...

I have looked at the Denon line of AVR's, I have always liked B&K but they are a little slow in product development and it seems that the Ref 70 only does takes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD as analog ins which sucks (maybe a software upgrade down the line?), Integra 9.8 looks nice! Just wanted to ask around here to see if I am missing any spectacular brands or products...

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks, don't know how I missed that sticky!

· Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Integra Line is the most feature packed / bang for the buck pre-amp out there ... the DHC 80.1 is my front runner so far...

· Registered
15,123 Posts
Unfortunately, the Integra pre/pros don't seem to allow a selection of different Audyssey equalization curves. Only the default Audyssey equalization curve is available. This is an issue for some people.

In contrast, the Marantz AV8003 pre/pro, just to pick an example that I'm familiar with, provides three different curves: "Match front speakers", "Audyssey" and "Flat".

On the other hand, some receivers and pre/pros also allow one to record two or three different sets of equalization curves and recall the one most appropriate for the current situation. This can be useful, for example, if you have a pull-down projection screen. A different curve would be needed when the screen is down than when it's up. The Marantz pre/pro has only one settings memory, so it's not ideal for this kind of situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.