AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.

Thanks for reading this. You guys always give great advice.

I've happily enjoyed my Energy 7.1 surround system that I put together from advice on this forum.

However recently, the Energy 8.3 subwoofer died. It buzzes, very VERY loudly, even without any input into it. I've tried everything, including shutting off power to all other parts of my house, including our HVAC system, and trying the subwoofer plugged into the only powered circuit. Always the same constant full power buzz.

Since it started doing this at about 3 am in the morning one night, The Wife is not... pleased, and will likely take a bat to it at some point.

So I'm looking for something similar or better. I was going to simply buy another Energy 8.3, but they appear to be discontinued.

My budget is at, near, or under 350 US dollars at this point.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I don’t know what your room volume is, if it is open to other rooms, what you listen to (music/movies) or how loudly you play your media, so it’s difficult to suggest a subwoofer. However, since you seemed happy with your 8-inch sub, I would think the following should make you even happier:

Buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-NX-BAS-500-500-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008FSTU4G

Or buy two of these: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

If you can up your budget, this would be superior: http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials-subwoofer/sb12-nsd-outlet-c

Reactions: Sibilance

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t know what your room volume is, if it is open to other rooms, what you listen to (music/movies) or how loudly you play your media, so it’s difficult to suggest a subwoofer. However, since you seemed happy with your 8-inch sub, I would think the following should make you even happier:

Buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-NX-BAS-500-500-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008FSTU4G

Or buy two of these: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

If you can up your budget, this would be superior: http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials-subwoofer/sb12-nsd-outlet-c
Ack. Right. Let me get to measuring.

The room is an odd shape, so I'll throw something together in paint and post it here.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment Speakers.bmp

Yes. I know. I see it too. Feel free to be horrified by the dimensions, the stairs, the hallway, the use of MS Paint. I'm a monster. A MONSTER.

:)

My set up consists of a Denon 790, 6 Energy C50s, an Energy c-c50 center, and an Energy 8.3 subwoofer.

We moved from a much smaller house to this larger one, and then immediately had a child. I didn't get a chance to fully set up the system here until very recently, and then the subwoofer died on us.

Anyway, I really was happy with the 8.3 up until the late night spontaneous dubstep. If anything, my main problem with my system until the subwoofer died, was anemic dialogue. I like to watch BBC crime serials and, well, frankly, they just aren't as loud as many shows., and there's a lot of subtle emotional content in inflection. I can't seem to hear a lot of that in this new house with this new room. Foyles War is a challenge in lip reading.

I also play a number of video games, and watch movies. Mainly I am looking for positional sound as opposed to recovering from compressive bass. We also put the system on and dance now and then. I listen to all genres of music except for Country Music and Rap. Otherwise it is Skillrex to Coulton to Copland to Flaming Lips to Clutch and on and on. Neither I, nor my Wife, are audiophiles. In fact, I tend to shy away from loud noise in general, and every time I run the Audyssey set up, I end up turning the bass down afterwards.

I was intending to upgrade the Energy centers and two front speakers to something more powerful or reference, possibly something by Klipsch, since all the complaints seem to lean towards what I like to hear: words, treble, crisp, harsh, as opposed to bass and thump. I was trying to talk myself into a reference 52 or 62 set. Since the subwoofer took a dive, I might as well get something decent that could pair well with that upgrade.

I would lean heavily towards items that can be obtained from places with decent return policies and decent shipping methods. I actually refuse to buy anything from Newegg, due to having a wonderful and delightful romp through their customer service gauntlet with a return. Epic. In the Greek tragedy sense.

I probably left something important out? Let me know. Anyway, even if there are no more responses, the ones I have received have at least lined me up in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
SVS sells speakers as well as subs, you might look at their offerings, excellent customer service including in-home trials. Reaction Audio, Power Sound Audio as well. Hsu to an extent. Ascend Acoustics and their packages with Rythmik subs. Return shipping is included with some if you don't like, some on your dime but all great companies to deal with. Can't stand lower end Klipsch myself, they grate on my nerves after a while and that would be exacerbated by hardwood floors IMHO. So what's your budget for speakers and sub(s) now?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I was going to simply buy another Energy 8.3, but they appear to be discontinued.

My budget is at, near, or under 350 US dollars at this point.
I believe they were the same or similar to the Mirage S8, so you may want to check for Woot's Mirage specials. They seem to have deals on Mirage every month or two, such as this, and it's been a while so I imagine another is coming soon (you can ask on the Woot forum). These deals usually include the Mirage S10, and I believe it is for less than your budget.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
For a subwoofer, you have what is considered a borderline “extreme” room size (anything over 5,000 cu. ft. is considered extreme). That poor S8.3 never stood a chance, but worked its heart out for you before imploding :). Give it a nice burial.

I do think two subwoofers will work best for you, but if you can only have one I’d be looking to Premier Acoustics PA-150 because it is a high output sub above 40 Hz. It also has good output down to around 30 Hz. It’s a big sub (which you need) with a 15-inch driver. While sporting a $500 price tag, most people can buy this sub for much less. Submitting a bid to Premier Acoustics, one can often get this sub for around $400. I understand by submitting a bid on eBay, many have gotten this sub for $350.

Many people have problems hearing dialog. Usually one can up the center channel volume separately on their AVR, which you should experiment with. I’m not sure how far you sit from your speakers, but if too far, that would increase the problem.

The harshness of Klipsch probably depends upon the model, but with hardwood flooring it would only make matters worse. Unless you are willing to soften up your room (large area throw rugs and some wall treatments), I’d be looking for a more neutral speaker. But before going out and auditioning speakers, I’d see what a good sub could do for your Energy setup.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I will have to widen my price range then, and take a look at something larger than the 8.3. I'll shop around for the PA-150, or consider upgrading from my Denon 790 to something with two subwoofer channels. Possibly a X2100...

Getting more complicated than I was expecting, honestly. But I'll make it work, somehow.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Guess I will have to widen my price range then, and take a look at something larger than the 8.3. I'll shop around for the PA-150, or consider upgrading from my Denon 790 to something with two subwoofer channels. Possibly a X2100...

Getting more complicated than I was expecting, honestly. But I'll make it work, somehow.
The X2100 doesn't have two subwoofer channels. It has Audyssey XT which doesn't have the capability to measure/set delays for two subs independently. You need an avr with Audyssey XT32 and SubEQ for that (mostly XT32 and SubEQ go hand in hand but there are some Onkyos that didn't provide the SubEQ component). Even XT32 will still eq the subs together after setting level/delay.

Generally other avrs have basically an internal y-splitter to provide two subwoofer preouts, you can easily run two subs from a single pre-out by using a y-cable/adaptor instead...

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
You don't need 2 subwoofer channels (they usually use an internal "Y" connection anyway). Just use a "Y" cable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The X2100 doesn't have two subwoofer channels. It has Audyssey XT which doesn't have the capability to measure/set delays for two subs independently. You need an avr with Audyssey XT32 and SubEQ for that (mostly XT32 and SubEQ go hand in hand but there are some Onkyos that didn't provide the SubEQ component). Even XT32 will still eq the subs together after setting level/delay.

Generally other avrs have basically an internal y-splitter to provide two subwoofer preouts, you can easily run two subs from a single pre-out by using a y-cable/adaptor instead...
You don't need 2 subwoofer channels (they usually use an internal "Y" connection anyway). Just use a "Y" cable.

I think I'm sensing the point where I just give up and start wearing headphones instead, or hire a contractor to add a wall in here...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

I think I'm sensing the point where I just give up and start wearing headphones instead, or hire a contractor to add a wall in here...
Ha, ha! I see this happen so much here. An increase in audio knowledge = outflow of money :). My wallet is much lighter since I started coming here. Here you go. Trust me. It's much better to stay blissfully ignorant and with a full wallet. ;)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Just take it one step at a time. Add a good sub then see how things go from there. A good sub will help your main speakers. If you decide to go with two subs, just use a “Y” splitter from your current AVR. Next, work on your center channel before spending money on another and so on. Little steps can make a difference.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would get the HSU STF-2 sub. 98dB at 25Hz and 105-110 at 40Hz to 80Hz. Very similar to the PA-150 and much smaller. And it's very well known and well reviewed.

If you wanted to spend a little less the Klipsh Sub12 would be good. I don't think it gets the respect it deserves. Nice tight bass and has good output in the mid 20's. You can find them for $200-$300.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
For a subwoofer, you have what is considered a borderline “extreme” room size (anything over 5,000 cu. ft. is considered extreme). That poor S8.3 never stood a chance, but worked its heart out for you before imploding :). Give it a nice burial.

I do think two subwoofers will work best for you, but if you can only have one I’d be looking to Premier Acoustics PA-150 because it is a high output sub above 40 Hz. It also has good output down to around 30 Hz. It’s a big sub (which you need) with a 15-inch driver. While sporting a $500 price tag, most people can buy this sub for much less. Submitting a bid to Premier Acoustics, one can often get this sub for around $400. I understand by submitting a bid on eBay, many have gotten this sub for $350.

Many people have problems hearing dialog. Usually one can up the center channel volume separately on their AVR, which you should experiment with. I’m not sure how far you sit from your speakers, but if too far, that would increase the problem.

The harshness of Klipsch probably depends upon the model, but with hardwood flooring it would only make matters worse. Unless you are willing to soften up your room (large area throw rugs and some wall treatments), I’d be looking for a more neutral speaker. But before going out and auditioning speakers, I’d see what a good sub could do for your Energy setup.
Not everyone considers klipsch harsh whether carpeted or not. Please refrain from repeating generalizations most from those who have never heard them in their own room.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Not everyone considers klipsch harsh whether carpeted or not. Please refrain from repeating generalizations most from those who have never heard them in their own room.
I have no intention of refraining, thank you.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
So you're just going on to spread rumor and innuendos based on no real world experience.

Not what I expected out of you. Disappointing.
Who said I don't have real world experience? What's disappointing was your post.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
Who said I don't have real world experience? What's disappointing was your post.
When have you had any klipsch let alone rf2 in your own home?

Yep. Never. So stop making judgement on what you have no experience with.

Seriously, your $200 emptek speakers while good for the price don't compare at all in any way to my reference II speakers no matter what you think.

Your advice for subs is spot on more often than not but your clearly biased against klipsch without having heard them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.