AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a complete newbie on Plasma sets and was looking for a suggestion or two.

I currently have a 42" Toshiba 1080p LCD and I am thinking about switching to a plasma set. 50" is the size I am shooting for. The only catch is that I want to use the best buy deal of no interest for 18 months so the TV must be through them. $1000 is the ball park price I am looking to spend. I heard good things about the Panasonic P50S1 but BB doesn't seem to carry it anymore.

So far the only other set I see that I've been reading about on here is the Samsung 50B550.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Televisi...at193400050016

Here's the small amount of plasma's they have available.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The PN50B550 is a very nice set. Out of the box it has smoother yet sharper look than the Panny with very good color reproduction (the Panasonic looks very good after a few minor adjustments, primarily lowering of the sharpness control). It will have more of a tendency to develope temporary image retention than the Panasonic and it's processing lag is higher so it's not as good for gaming (won't affect other uses).

You might try actually going to some BB stores in search of the Panny you want, often sets drop off the website before some local stores are completely out of stock.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the response! I think I will go to my local Best Buy and see what they have. Gaming actually is important to me, so I'll remember that about the Panasonic.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18147596

Thanks a lot for the response! I think I will go to my local Best Buy and see what they have. Gaming actually is important to me, so I'll remember that about the Panasonic.

It appears as though the majority of 2009 Panasonics are defective. I would not buy a 2009 Panasonic.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer MGS4 /forum/post/18147662

It appears as though the majority of 2009 Panasonics are defective. I would not buy a 2009 Panasonic.

not enough data to show it is the majority, but he is right. Panasonic quality control is a concern at the moment. A good deal of people have been having trouble with their black levels after 500-1000 hours of use. Panasonic said their is some inherent black level rises, and it is normal that one could notice one of these changes

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Do you think the lag issue is something I would notice on the Samsung? I didn't find it to be much of an issue on my Toshiba LCD, not sure if LCD's have more lag with games.

·
Registered
240 Posts
the more pic settings you turn on, the worse the lag will get. And really, it will be bad for fast action and timing games

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18148122

Thanks. I read so much on LCD vs. Plasma with gaming and it seems people still go both way on which is better.

If this TV will be solely for gaming, I would get an LCD. If you plan on watching tv, movies and playing games, then I would consider a plasma. I have both an LCD (Sony) and a Plasma (Pioneer) and I prefer gaming on the plasma. Besides picture quality, the big thing is motion artifacts that you can see on an LCD. I really could care about lag.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/18148695

If this TV will be solely for gaming, I would get an LCD. If you plan on watching tv, movies and playing games, then I would consider a plasma. I have both an LCD (Sony) and a Plasma (Pioneer) and I prefer gaming on the plasma. Besides picture quality, the big thing is motion artifacts that you can see on an LCD. I really could care about lag.

well what games do you play? Some games plus the lcd lag will make them unplayable

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/18148695

Wait I'm confused. You're telling him to go LCD but then are saying you prefer plasma. Did you mistype?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 /forum/post/18148779

Wait I'm confused. You're telling him to go LCD but then are saying you prefer plasma. Did you mistype?

I meant: If you plan on using this TV ONLY for gaming, get an LCD so you do not have to worry about IR.

If you will be using the TV for movies and TV as well, then get a plasma.

The other thing to consider is the lighting in the room where the TV will be.

·
Registered
16,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18147684

Panasonic quality control is a concern at the moment.

Panasonic quality control, and customer service, are better than Samsung. Both brands have their issues (buzzzzzzz), but I'd rather deal with Panasonic if there is a problem than with Samsung. True, some are complaining about rising black levels with Panny, but remember that the black levels start out better with Panny than Sammy, and most Panny owners are happy customers. Personally, I'd wait for the 2010 models since both brands have real issues.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think the room this will be in will be too bright, and if it is I can always take care of that with the blinds. I would say our TV's go a bit like this as far as use: 60% TV, 20% DVD/Blu-Ray, 20% games

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18149382

I don't think the room this will be in will be too bright, and if it is I can always take care of that with the blinds. I would say our TV's go a bit like this as far as use: 60% TV, 20% DVD/Blu-Ray, 20% games

In that case go for the plasma. For less gaming lag and less IR go Panasonic, for best pq out of the box go Samsung.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the Panasonic is only available in my area as a displayed, open-box item. I got them to call other stores with no luck. Looks like the Samsung might be my choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.