AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a power sensing smart plug that I can use to trigger another action when it senses power.

For example, when I turn my projector on it will sense the power being utilized at the AC outlet, and then I can have a rule to turn off the room lights then turn on and dim the accent lights. Then when I turn off the projector, it will sense this and I can turn off the accent lights and turn on the room lights.

I know this type of device exists because I have seen it demonstrated on a YouTube video. Now I just need to find it.

TIA

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,573 Posts
I'm looking for a power sensing smart plug that I can use to trigger another action when it senses power.

For example, when I turn my projector on it will sense the power being utilized at the AC outlet, and then I can have a rule to turn off the room lights then turn on and dim the accent lights. Then when I turn off the projector, it will sense this and I can turn off the accent lights and turn on the room lights.

I know this type of device exists because I have seen it demonstrated on a YouTube video. Now I just need to find it.

TIA
Here are a couple.

Amazon.com: Smart Strip ECG-7MVR Energy Saving Surge Protector with Autoswitching Technology, 7 Outlet: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Bits Limited SCG-3MVR Smart Strip Advanced Power Strip, 7-Outlets, Surge Protector, 15A, 4ft. Cable, Pack of 1: Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: Bits Limited LCG-3MVR Energy Saving Surge Protector with Autoswitching Technology, 10-Outlet: Home Audio & Theater

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I am familiar with those but that is not what I am looking for. Those aren't smart plugs, those are "dumb" power sensing plugs. They will only turn on/off another device that is directly plugged into the same power strip.

I need something that can connect to Alexa or an automation hub to turn on light switches and trigger rules. Not something that will just turn another local device on/off at the same time.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,573 Posts
Thank you, I am familiar with those but that is not what I am looking for. Those aren't smart plugs, those are "dumb" power sensing plugs. They will only turn on/off another device that is directly plugged into the same power strip.

I need something that can connect to Alexa or an automation hub to turn on light switches and trigger rules. Not something that will just turn another local device on/off at the same time.
Which automation hub do you have? Alexa isn't really an automation hub. It accepts commands and can do things but it doesn't monitor and react based on rules. A full automation hub will do this, so which hub are you using or are you open to buying one?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which automation hub do you have? Alexa isn't really an automation hub. It accepts commands and can do things but it doesn't monitor and react based on rules. A full automation hub will do this, so which hub are you using or are you open to buying one?
Yes, Alexa can monitor things. I have Alexa routines which use motion sensors to trigger actions.

But my hub is Hubitat so I'm good with Zigbee or Z-Wave.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a nice hub. I also have one.
What about this:
Mi Casa Verde Z-Wave Energy Metering Appliance SmartSwitch | Taylor Security & Lock
You could hook it up to your projector and use it to trigger events to control other devices in your Hubitat
Are you sure I could use it to trigger actions?

According to the product description, it sounds like it can turned on/off like any other smart switch. And that it can report current power usage, or power usage over time. But not clear that it will report an event (power on/off) to the hub to trigger an action.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found this smart plug that works with Alexa/Google Assistant (no hub required) and it does what I want to do - ConnectSense CS-SO-2 Smart Outlet² Plug.

From the product description: Use energy characteristics for automation with things like Diming the lights when the TV turns on... Energy use can also be used to automate your home, monitor a TV or projector and dim the lights for movie time.

However, the reviews are pretty iffy and support seems non-existent. Would prefer something a little more established.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the video that demonstrated this at 5:08 -

However, this automation is not nearly as easy as I thought. The way he did it is explained in item 20 here. This required webcore code on top of Smartthings. There must be some easier way as I envisioned it working. That plug I linked above looks like it is built for this task but those reviews worry me. I wonder if that switch you linked above can do it.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Are you sure I could use it to trigger actions?

According to the product description, it sounds like it can turned on/off like any other smart switch. And that it can report current power usage, or power usage over time. But not clear that it will report an event (power on/off) to the hub to trigger an action.
Yea I wouldn't rely on the switch to report events but you'd set up a polling scene in your hub that checked the device every 30 seconds or such. The device you linked looks like it would work also. These things might be pretty flaky. Power levels isn't a straight on / off. There could be false triggers.

My theater is automated so it works a lot differently. Rather than having something react to when I turn on my projector, I have a server in my house. In that I wrote a web listener with a web page of things I can do. One of them is "theater on". When I hit that, a whole bunch of stuff occurs via IP control driven by the PC. A couple of these events includes powering on the projector, powering on the AVR, booting up the HTPC, opening the theater vents and setting the room to cool, etc.

Then I can get to that home only web page via phone or pc in the house - any device on the home network.

Is something you'd find useful?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The long term plan is to set up a Harmony remote that will do everything I need in the theater with one button press. But I'm not going to get to that for a while so I thought I could link the lights to a power-sensing outlet for now as a shortcut. If this ends up being too hard I'll just throw a Dot in the theater until I get the Harmony set up.

As for running PC-based automation software, that's something I was considering a few years ago but not something I see a need for these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts