AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm most likely going to be buying a new Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY plasma TV and I currently have a DVD player, but it's not a progressive scan player. I want to upgrade to a player that has progressive scan so I can really take advantage of the TV. I know prices and quality can range quite a bit with progressive scan DVD players and I'd like to get a nice one. I was at The Good Guys and the salesman said something about how Faroudja based DVD players are so much better than standard progressive scan DVD players. I also noticed the Faroudja players are a lot more expensive. Is the price worth it or would getting a nice standard progressive scan unit do just fine? The less expensive the better of course. Can anybody recommend any particular models? I haven't looked at DVD players in 4 years since I bought my Sony and so I'm a little out of touch with what to look for. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, the popular player on the forum these days is the Denon 1600. Part of the reason I think for the surge of interest in the unit is its limited availability now and no equal to it in its price range.

I myself have owned one for about a year and have been quite happy with it and have not had any issues with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too am looking to buy a couple of progressive scan DVD players. However, I would like to keep the purchase price to no more than $150.00 to $175.00 each. What are the best performers within this range?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody know any good sites that carry the 1600 for a good price? Looks like I'm seeing anywhere between $250-330. Some of the cheaper sites don't seem too great though.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You can get the Denon DVD-1600 at Crutchfield for $329 (no tax or shipping costs) but you can download coupons to reduce the price $20-40 from there too - search the other threads for the links.

The decent DVD players nowadays are either under $100 or $250+, the inbetween price $150-$250 doesn't buy you much over the $100 players, unless you need changer capability or something. For a bargain single-disc player checkout the JVC models like the XV-N40BK or XV-N50BK. The JVCs have a $20 rebate offer now too, so you can get the N40BK as low as $65 online with rebate ($20 more for the N50BK). JVC has both black and silver models too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
The decent DVD players nowadays are either under $100 or $250+, the inbetween price $150-$250 doesn't buy you much over the $100 players, unless you need changer capability or something.

So what would you recommend then? The Panasonic players always seem to rate well on http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/ but their remotes are not the best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any comments on which of these progressive scan DVD players

would be the best?

JVC XV-N5SL

Panasonic DVD-F85K

Pioneer DV-545

I read somewhere that the JVC would actually play PAL DVD's. Does

this mean it converts PAL to NTSC?

TIA.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The JVC is the best in that group, also consider the new bargain JVC XV-N40BK/N44SL or N50BK/N55SL models - they have a $20 rebate offer now. Yes the JVCs supposedly support PAL->NTSC, I haven't tried it though.

I don't worry about the remotes that come with DVD players, I use my own universal learning remote for everything anyway - so I never use the original remotes other than to learn the major keys from. Comparing DVD players based on their remotes is stupid in my opinion, go for the best picture quality.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have the 40, and the only benefit to the 50/55 that I could tell from extensive research is that the higher model number gives you the ability to play CD's with WMA files in addition to MP3 files.

I got the 40 at Sam's Club for $79 and so far it's worked fine.

SMK

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The XV-N5SL is last year's model, the newer JVCs (N40,44,50,55) have a more advanced GUI and have a $20 rebate offer - so the newer models are actually cheaper and higher quality plus more features. Unless you can find an XV-N5SL for around $50, the newer models are a better buy.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes the Denon DVD-1600 reads DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW but is more finiky with poor quality media or poor authoring programs than the JVC. Also the Denon will play VCD on CDR/RW but not any SVCDs, the JVC on the other hand plays both types.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The XV-N5SL is last year's model, the newer JVCs (N40,44,50,55) have a more advanced GUI and have a $20 rebate offer - so the newer models are actually cheaper and higher quality plus more features. Unless you can find an XV-N5SL for around $50, the newer models are a better buy.
Do the JVC models have the chroma upsampling bug?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
No, the JVC's have never had the CUE bug, the MPEG decoder they have always used is chroma-bug free. But its de-interlacer is weak for video or incorrectly flagged DVDs since its a flag-reader.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.