AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I've lurked off and on for a while, and it looks like my first HDTV purchase is imminent. I'm hoping some gurus can give some advice.

Firstly, I'm not looking for the best picture quality EVAR!, just the best for my price range
. My living room is small, with the TV being no more than 10' (and more like 6-7') away from the viewer. There is a fair bit of light in the room, but only during the morning (the room faces east), so for most of the TV watching, it'll be pretty dark.

The TV will be used mostly for over-the-air HD and regular digital cable, upscaled DVDs (maybe BluRay at some point) and some light gaming (Rockband/Guitar Hero mostly). Because of the rhythm gaming, I'm a little sensitive to input lag (my parents have an HDTV that has pretty awful gaming lag at the holidays).

Should 32" be good enough? I know "bigger is better", but that ain't true when it comes to prices. My price range is (I'm somewhat sheepish to admit) is in the $500-$600 range, or less. I'm assuming plasma is pretty much ruled out at the sizes I'm looking at, but do I really need 1080p, or could I do fine by 720p for my usage?

Thanks again!

-O

· Registered
3,637 Posts
I would suggest you go to a store and stand the distance you will be viewing from. 32" is pretty small. 37" from 7' is OK, but 42" would be better. 10' from a 37" = too small. I sit 9' from a 50" and I wish I had a bigger display. I don't stretch a 4x3 signal to 16x9 (looks like crap). This drastically cuts down the size of a picture. A 37" with 4x3 material is about a 25" SDTV.

Saving a bit more may be a better option. Get what you need for your room, not what your budget allows you to get. 40" and 42" HDTVs are not much more money. This is something you are going to own for many years and the extra money can go a long way in making you happy.

720p vs 1080p comes down to picture size and distance you sit. There are many charts that can point you in the correct direction. My father bought a Panasonic 50" 720p recently. He sits 12' from it and he wouldn't be able to tell between 720p and 1080p. This saved him about $600. If you can swing it go for 1080p. I think the better technology goes into those sets so you are getting a better display.

Don't rush a purchase. Many mistakes are made this way. Before the 50" my dad bought he had a 32". He regretted it shortly after purchase when he moved it to another room which changed his viewing distance from 6' to 12'. 12' from a 32" sucks. You need binoculars to read anything on the screen.

· Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhado /forum/post/16847351

I'm assuming plasma is pretty much ruled out at the sizes I'm looking at, ...

Well, perhaps, but the Samsung pn42b450 720p set (which I've ordered myself) is just slightly above the price range you gave.

· Registered
122 Posts
Seriously consider a 42" 720p plasma. You can get a Panasonic, Samsung, or LG on sale at the upper end of your indicated range. They all have great pictures and features with no motion issues. Normal room light is no problem. Since most hd broadcast sources are still 720p or 1080i, the 1080p will only come into play on dvds. And, Blu-Ray still looks awesome at 720p. A 42" 1080p plasma will cost about $200-$300 more.

You will not be disappointed.

· Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr. /forum/post/16883503

Seriously consider a 42" 720p plasma. You can get a Panasonic, Samsung, or LG on sale at the upper end of your indicated range. They all have great pictures and features with no motion issues. Normal room light is no problem. Since most hd broadcast sources are still 720p or 1080i, the 1080p will only come into play on dvds. And, Blu-Ray still looks awesome at 720p. A 42" 1080p plasma will cost about $200-$300 more.

You will not be disappointed.

Agreed... except I think the Panny X1 and C1 are too dim. I have an older LG 720p plasma and it's perfect for the bedroom and at a 42" size. Looked at Obama's healthcare speech and the PQ was awesome even on a 720p plasma that's 2007 tech.

· Registered
16 Posts
I'm too much of an old fART to speak about gaming lag, but I just parted with my first HT TV, a 27 Sears (Sanyo) which had RCA jacks to mate with a VCR & a 72-era Yamaha amp.

On the same day, we said Adios to our 98 HT, a Sony 35" CRT in a hire 2 college guys to move solid oak butcherblock Entertainment Center.

The EC & 35" sold to used goods guy for $70 (2 men = double hernias). They went for roughly $2K in 98.

Upstairs, we now sit 9' from a 60" Kuro, sound still from the Pioneer's speakers until plasma is wall-mounted (today?). Have watched a couple of Blu-Rays in the last week. This distance is too close for $11 cox basic SD TV on a 1080P of this size.

Downstairs, same distance from a 32" Panny LCD 32LX1 (within your price range). Slightly farther from exercise equipment, but seldom viewed from there. Same cable feed. 720P looks AOK on unlit side of basement. This LCD has an ipod dock, which would cost me to add to my Yamaha otherwise. Also SD card slot. Model options & variations within a panel size may match your needs &/or save $.

What's my point? We're not disappointed with either viewing experience (knowing distance to Kuro will increase). You are unlikely to be disappointed in whatever you decide upon. Either of us go to the basement to watch something different than what's upstairs. Funny we don't sit there critiquing the 32's shortcomings . . . .

You don't mention ever having to move your new flat panel. 32 was pretty easy for this geezer. Pretty sure I'd need help with a 42.

Hooking this up to a stereo? Or you gonna rely on panel's speakers? I see complaints on sound from even expensive sets.

Your concern with input lag should drive your decision. If you're not in a rush (I was to get a Kuro, wife Okayed LCD!), your budget will cover more possiblities as the year progresses. The CRTs I parted with were not top of the line when we bought them, but served us well. An entry model that meets your needs should do the same. Good Luck!

· Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xoddic /forum/post/16890420

Upstairs, we now sit 9' from a 60" Kuro, sound still from the Pioneer's speakers until plasma is wall-mounted (today?). Have watched a couple of Blu-Rays in the last week. This distance is too close for $11 cox basic SD TV on a 1080P of this size.

Where is everyone getting this cheap cable? We have basic analog cox and it's like 50 bucks. Are you talking about just the local channel service they have for reception purposes?

I've also heard reference to free cable. Are there some channels that come in when not even paying for service?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.