AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we just moved into our house, this is a HT build from scratch! I was able to pick up the Primus P363 for $107/ea and the P163s for $60/ea (pretty stoked about that!) So now all I need is a PC351, A Sub and a Receiver.

For the sub, I'm thinking either the SVS PB-1000 or the Rythmik LV12R (if I can get the wife to swing the extra cost!) as my starting sub. I setup a HT for my parents a few years ago with your help and have been exposed to the Bic H-100 and the PL-200. I'm looking to go a little bit better than that!

This setup will be used for Primetime TV and BD Movies 90% of the time. We will play music on it should we be entertaining guests or just wanting to relax, but music is not my main concern. I also have a slew of iOS devices and an AppleTV so I am already OK on the AirPlay side of things.

This leaves me with the receiver. I thought I knew what I was going to go with, the Denon X2000. However, I read that their manual needs to be decoded in order to understand half of their features and setups. Then I was looking at the Yamaha 675 due to it's price and then today, I saw that the Pioneer VSX-1123 is on sale at BB so I nearly hit "Buy" on that, until I did some research.

While it looks like the Pioneer can do HDMI over zone2, it appears to have reliability issues. I also know that the Yamaha and Pioneer do not have Audessey, but instead their own EQ program, which most say is inferior. Then, of course, there is the whole P363 operating at 4ohms issue. However, from my research on this, it appears that any newer receiver today should be able to handle this without issue, especially if I'm pairing it with a sub.

What are some receivers that you guys could recommend to me, sticking around the $600 MSRP price range? I'm not looking for a single answer, as I know a lot of it is personal preference due to GUIs and SQ. I also wouldn't mind 2 or 3 options to look into in case sales pop up or so I can narrow it down based on the feature set I would want/need.

Finally, with that said, am I right to say I should skip the Pioneer VSX-1123 for $399.99 as there are better options out there?

Thanks you for your help in advance!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I recommend Pioneer as I have used them for decades. But if you don't like the Pioneer brand there are certainly plenty of competent brands from which to choose.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the 1123 a good receiver? I've heard there are video syncing issues, reliability issues and it's MCACC is pretty weak, let alone it won't EQ the sub...

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24493782

Is the 1123 a good receiver? I've heard there are video syncing issues, reliability issues and it's MCACC is pretty weak, let alone it won't EQ the sub...

Yes it is a fine receiver. I haven't heard about the same issues you have so I assume you are referring to isolated situations rather than a general problem. Not all versions of audyssey EQ subs. If that is important to you then look at the new 1124 which has sub EQ and HDMI2

·
Registered
28,894 Posts

Quote:
Not all versions of audyssey EQ subs

All do except for 2EQ which was on entry level Onkyo receivers.

All Denon receivers use MultEQ or higher which does EQ the subwoofer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the vote between the X2000, Yamaha 675 or the 1123?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24494519

I think any of them would serve you well.

The P363 is a good test of that theory as its impedance curve has some impressive dips below 4 ohms. I've used them with some of the most lightweight AVRs on the market including the Yamaha RXV-371 (16 pounds or less) without any problems.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24494545

The P363 is a good test of that theory as its impedance curve has some impressive dips below 4 ohms. I've used them with some of the most lightweight AVRs on the market including the Yamaha RXV-371 (16 pounds or less) without any problems.

In my bedroom I run a pair of nominal 4 ohm speakers with a bottom-of-the-line Pioneer VSX 522. Never the slightest problem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are there any other recommendations on what receivers to look at besides the X2000, 675 or 1123? Again, I'm looking around the $500-$600 range.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you are willing to spend 600 then this year's Pioneer, the 1124 might be a consideration. That being said I would lean towards the Denon for its version of room correction.

But all should work fine with your system- just pick one and enjoy it.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24494206

What is the vote between the X2000, Yamaha 675 or the 1123?

I just recently went through the process or buying a new receiver and ultimately went with the Yamaha V675. I first started lurking through this forum as well as a few other forums, and narrowed my brands to Yamaha, denon, and pioneer. I originally bought a Yamaha V575 and had it for about a month, then bought the denon E400 and had that for only a day (didn't like the sound, only 7.1 vs 7.2, and had a hdmi handshake issue with my samsung tv), and brought it back for the V675.

The V575 was fine for my needs, but then the V675 went on sale for $5 cheaper then what I paid for on the V575 so I jumped on it. Couldn't be happier with my decision! Now I'm researching speaker setups. Lol

·
Registered
7,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital517  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24510422

I just recently went through the process or buying a new receiver and ultimately went with the Yamaha V675. I first started lurking through this forum as well as a few other forums, and narrowed my brands to Yamaha, denon, and pioneer. I originally bought a Yamaha V575 and had it for about a month, then bought the denon E400 and had that for only a day (didn't like the sound, only 7.1 vs 7.2, and had a hdmi handshake issue with my samsung tv), and brought it back for the V675.

The V575 was fine for my needs, but then the V675 went on sale for $5 cheaper then what I paid for on the V575 so I jumped on it. Couldn't be happier with my decision! Now I'm researching speaker setups. Lol

For the price these speakers seem to get good reviews.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-PK52FS

·
Banned
3,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24494545

I've never been able to get a solitary, concrete answer about the 363's impedance swings -- some say it's nominal 8ohms while the Audioholics review stated they dip, as you mentioned, into other ratings....I run a pair of these in a two channel system powered by an Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver and never had any issues with the setup thus far...

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24510723

Quote:

I've never been able to get a solitary, concrete answer about the 363's impedance swings -- some say it's nominal 8 ohms while the Audioholics review stated they dip, as you mentioned, into other ratings...

Stereophile essentially agrees with the Audioholics review. P360/P361/P363 speakers have an impedance dip around 100 Hz. If memory serves Stereophile and Audioholics both post impedance curves based on independent tests, and since both are credible sources they generally agree.

It is not uncommon for nominal 8 ohm speakers to dip a bit below 4 ohms in the upper bass.

I have a pair of KEF Q15s that do the same basic thing, for example.
Quote:
I run a pair of these in a two channel system powered by an Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver and never had any issues with the setup thus far...

...and thus you benefit by not being scared off by rumor mongering by myth-driven audiophiles!

·
Banned
3,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24510906

Stereophile essentially agrees with the Audioholics review. P360/P361/P363 speakers have an impedance dip around 100 Hz. If memory serves Stereophile and Audioholics both post impedance curves based on independent tests, and since both are credible sources they generally agree.

It is not uncommon for nominal 8 ohm speakers to dip a bit below 4 ohms in the upper bass.

So is it alright to keep my stereo receiver set to "8Ohms" for impedance when running the 363s?
Quote:
I have a pair of KEF Q15s that do the same basic thing, for example.

...and thus you benefit by not being scared off by rumor mongering by myth-driven audiophiles!

Meaning?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24512946

So is it alright to keep my stereo receiver set to "8Ohms" for impedance when running the 363s?

Yes.

·
Banned
3,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522931/looking-for-a-receiver-for-infinity-primus-and-am-getting-confused#post_24513049

Yes.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts