AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have four Ascend CBM-170s (two for front L/R, two for back L/R) and a CMT-340c as my center with a VTF2 sub. I was looking at the following receivers:

Sony ES STR-DA2000ES

Onkyo TX-SR701

Denon AVR-3803

H/K AVR 430

My price limit is $1,000. I will be using my system mainly for movies. Out of these receivers I have listed, which would be the best for my purposes? Are there others any of you would recommend above these? Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: spelling...

·
Registered
329 Posts
As Pin suggested, NAD receivers are known to have good amp sections that are conservatively rated (i.e., if they say it's a 75W/channel receiver, it really will output that much). Here's a place where you can get them at a good price:

http://yawaonline.com/nadreceivers.html

In your price range, probably the best bet for a very good musical receiver. However, if you are just interested in HT, I think you could spend considerably less and still get very good sound... After all, any HT signal has to be processed by numerous DACS and DSPs and I think it takes a significant difference in price in order to get a unit that sounds substantially better on movies since it takes a lot to get improved resolution on what is essentially a compressed sound format (Dolby and DTS).

The list you have assembled is pretty good quality and I think differences in features more than anything should be the deciding factor since I think they will be pretty comparable in amp quality and sound quality. I would demo them against one another anyhow to see if any one receiver sounds better or worse to you. Another receiver that seems to get rave reviews for HT use is the Panasonic SA-XR45. Priced at $300 and supposedly sounds very good for HT.

Victor

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have the same Ascend setup as you do, with the 3803. Very happy with the choice. As for which is better among those listed, it really depends on what you want, what features, inputs, power requirements, etc. I use my setup for almost 100% HT, very little music. The 3803 is actually overkill for my needs and relatively small room, but if I do move and need more power or features, they are there. ;)

EDIT: I think I read that Denon announced the 3805, so you may want to check that out. Or at least wait until it's released so that you could get a better deal on a 3803. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be wise to consider a refurbished receiver? One thing that stands out for me is that Sony offers a 5-year warranty on their receivers. However, I've heard that Sony receivers usually just don't sound as good as most other receivers in the same price class (this is the general opinion I see on this forum). Of course, I know that's opinion and I'm bound to have my own on this in the future, but do you guys agree that Sony receivers don't sound as well as others. For example, if you had a NAD receiver and a Sony receiver side by side, both had the same features and price, which would you get? Thanks for any help.

P.S. I will be doing some music listening, but let's say that it will be 20% music, 80% HT. I'd rather have better quality on the options that the receiver has than have more options with less quality.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I recently bought Ascends, and while not many people seem to have Yamaha, I'm probably gonna purchase their rx-v1400. A lot of bang for the buck. They also have a 2400 model withing the budget. With a 1K budget, I would also consider Pioneer Elite 53tx which should be within reach.

Both companies automatically set up your speakers, using a mic, which is a neat feature.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after reading around, I'm probably going to go with NAD as they seem to be very well respected not just on this forum but everywhere. My only question now is if I should go refurbished or get a new one. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you recently purchased your Ascends, you might want to try and get in on the current package deal they have with the H/K AVR430 receiver. (I'm pretty sure Ascend has a 45-day add-on package policy). I just purchased 4 CBM-170, CMT-340, and a VTF-3MK2 sub with the AVR430 at a nicely discounted price with the package deal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see this anywhere on their site. Do you have a direct link? And can anyone tell me if it's worth getting refurbished?? Should I consider this or just get new??

·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ProSpud
I don't see this anywhere on their site. Do you have a direct link? And can anyone tell me if it's worth getting refurbished?? Should I consider this or just get new??
You could get a great deal or get screwed. I've read some of the re-furbished threads and found enough to scare me off, but you CAN get some good deals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ProSpud
It was sent out via e-mail to people on their mailing list. If you just call them up, they'll tell you the details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.