AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to finally pick up a solid universal remote. The Onkyo remote from my 605 works fine, and controls all of my components, but not well enough to totally dump the rest of my remotes...

The componenets hooked up as of now are

Onkyo 605

Onkyo 405 up-converting DVD player

Scientific Atlantic 8300 HD-DVR

Samsung LCD

Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player

Sony Playstation 3

Microsoft XBOX 360

I know the PS3 will need some sort of IR to bluetooth conversion, and thats fine...but for the remote im just kinda stuck...

I'm leaning towards the Harmony One, but its rather pricey for what it seems to offer. Is it worth the price increase over the 880 or 890 to get the One?? I'd certainly be open to non-logitech options as well...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The MSRP of the 880 is the same, but it can often be found for much less (since it is discontinued and the One is it's replacement).

I have seen the 880 sell as low as $75, the lowest I have seen the One is $150.

I reccommend you go to a store and pick up both of the remotes and see which one you like better. I find the layout of the One is nicer, but I prefer the buttons next to the screen on the 880 instead of the touchscreen of the One.

If you want to hide your components in a closet the 890 has RF capability to make that easy. Otherwise it is pretty much the same remote as the 880.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can get the 880 for $100 bucks right now, I just ordered a One from Amazon for $190 - $20 Rebate (so $170). We'll see how that goes, I'm kind of wishing I had just gotten the 880 and saved myself the extra money already, but the screen on the One seems to be much better, or maybe it's just icon design.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The screen on the one looks much nicer, I just don't like that it is touchscreen. You have to look down at it to see where to touch the screen for the function you want to use, and even then the touchscreen thinks I hit something else half the time.

With the 880 you can feel the buttons next to the screen, and once you memorize what functions are on the screen you don't have to look at it to run the remote.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have 2 friends who have the Harmony 880/890 and personally I do not like them at all. They feel very cheap to me and I'm not happy with the button layout. The screen is also very out dated compared to the newer remotes. I have a Harmony 720 which I like better and has a better resolution screen than the 880/890 but still a far cry from the newer remotes.

I bought the Harmony One for my parents and another one for my brother and his wife this year for Xmas. I got them for around $190 online, I don't recall off hand where at the moment. It is a very nice remote, both in looks and operation. I feel it is very nice cross between a hard button remote and a touch screen. The touch screen resolution is by far a better screen than the Harmony 880/890. It looks fantastic, especially with nice logo favorites by http://www.iconharmony.com/icons/ .

The only drawback with the Harmony One, for me at least, is the lack of RF control. If this is an issue for you and you are looking for RF control, I would recommend one of the URC remotes.

My sister in law can't stop bragging about how much she loves the Harmony One. Just my opinion, but many folks feel spending a lot on a remote seems foolish, but they never regret it once they have it and start using it. Not to mention it is something you'll use everyday all day long! How many have spent 5x more on something you barely use? My sister in law spent $800 on a treadmill which has now been demoted to simply hanging laundry.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear33765 /forum/post/15564005

The only drawback with the Harmony One, for me at least, is the lack of RF control. If this is an issue for you and you are looking for RF control, I would recommend one of the URC remotes.

Or you could use the Harmony One in conjunction with a third party IR repeater, like one from Xantech.com

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat /forum/post/15568967

Or you could use the Harmony One in conjunction with a third party IR repeater, like one from Xantech.com

You know...I hear this alot. Especially from those under the control of the Harmony Koolaide. IMHO, although IR repeaters have minor benefits. They are nothing more than work arounds for a better and more reliable RF system.

I mean, if you're in love with a non RF capable remote...fine. But my take on URs is that, it's all about convenience. I've experienced/used both methods, and there is nothing about IR that makes me want to go back to it.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot /forum/post/15569557

You know...I hear this alot. Especially from those under the control of the Harmony Koolaide. IMHO, although IR repeaters have minor benefits. They are nothing more than work arounds for a better and more reliable RF system.

I mean, if you're in love with a non RF capable remote...fine. But my take on URs is that, it's all about convenience. I've experienced/used both methods, and there is nothing about IR that makes me want to go back to it.

Agreed. And if you have a activities based remote you can't afford to lose a command because the remote was pointed in the wrong direction. For reliable control you need point anywhere RF.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot /forum/post/15569557

LMAO ... "Harmony Koolaide" good one, thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Harmony One but it's not the be all end all by far. The Harmony remotes are good for simple situations (line of sight, mostly). I'd definitely recommend some other type RF remote, I was just throwing this out as an alternate suggestion, since compared to some RF remote solutions this could be cheaper (but if price is no object then go for the top Pronto remote or what not).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts