AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am looking to buy an ultra short throw projector which can be moved around between rooms and houses. It will be projected on a white wall or a portable screen. But I care about picture quality. It looks like 4K is a minimum of $2500 (LG) so I will save that for my next upgrade.
budget $1200 ish.
Which ones would you recommend? Preferably with some sort of streaming software and Bluetooth so I can use a Bluetooth speaker. I can add a fire stick if necessary.

Thank you

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some research online and it looks like the Viewsonic X10 checks almost all my boxes. I say almost bc it needs 6ft instead of 6 inches like the LG ultra shirt throw but it is 4K whereas the LGis only HD.
pit seems to be sold out till Jan on Amazon and sold out at Best Buy at its discounted price.
Does anyone have experience w this projector and any suggestions on where to buy it
Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
The title of your post confuses me as it says Ultra Short Throw. You're looking for a short throw now, right? I'm loving mine Viewsonic X10-4KE Currently it sits at 89 inches (7'5) with 123" screen size (projecting to a gray wall) You might also look into the Optoma GT1090HDR with better ratings and $169 more. My HT is still work in progress but the room is 12x12x8.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your response. I had initially wanted an ultra short throw but for 4K it is too expensive so I switched to short throw. I like that the Viewsonic x10 offers decent speakers and streaming all in one box. I won’t always have to use an Apple TV and a sound bar.
Just arrived to day. Will give it a try.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You will need streaming device as Netflix fr Aptoids only does 720p and not many other streaming apps you could install. I have to calibrate to get the color to my liking in Eco mode. For some movies I switch to TV mode but mostly keep it under Movie mode. I did calibrate both modes.

Be sure to apply updates. There were 2 when I got mine.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am coming from a benq 1070 from 2014.
I just set it up last night. Spent an hour trying to download the Vremote app but kept getting a QR code error. Then tried to download Netflix but it gave a mouse needed error. Finally gave up and hooked up an Apple TV. The sound is much better than I expected. It started in some sort of torch mode like on a billboard but I was happy w the autofocus and sharpness. Will try to calibrate tonight to improve the PQ.
GOT looked awesome.
59352A52-99F1-4BD7-857D-D56AE860560B.jpeg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here are mine (projecting to gray wall)

Movie:
Brightness 40
Contrast 50
Color Temp 9300 K
Tint 44
Sat 41
Sharp 50
Gamma 2.2

TV:
Bright 51
Cont 45
Color 9300 K
Tint 50
Sat 50
Sharp 50
Gamma Cubic

Under Advanced

Frame Interpolation Low
HDMI setting
Range: Full

Is your projecting to a screen? I always run mine in Eco (30-31 dB measuring from cell phone) mode as Full is too loud for our small HT.

If you are not going to full HT speakers, I would get soundbar and bluetooth to it for improved sound.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Will try your settings and report back. I have a sound bar and sub. Will hook those up.

Why is there no dedicated thread for this projector? Seems pretty reasonable and unique. I couldn’t find another decent 4K short throw projector at this price point. Others were all 2K or more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are actually couple faux 4k options that are better not as convenient (just place it on a coffee table instead of mounting) and a tad more expensive (not much tho). Like the HT3550 I've read is better but requires more distance and the noise is louder than ours. Next two are LG HU70LAB and Optoma UHL55. The latter per Optoma, ideal screen size is 80" for optimal image so that's a no go for me. The LG also requires more throwing distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts