AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent darn near all day searching for just a simple solution to providing backup power to my JVC projector in case of a power outage. I'm hoping someone here has found something similar to what I'm looking for, just a basic, no nonsense unit. The Pj draws 8 amps, which if my math is right converts to about 960 watts. Any ideas?

Chris

·
Registered
735 Posts
I use a smart ups 1400 from apc. I think the current version is a smart ups 1500. But I'm powering 650+ watt projector so you may have to go up a model.

Generally you want the load to be about 75% or less of the load limit.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
What if the UPS is plugged into a conditioner?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have APC Smart ups 1500 and Minuteman s1400. Both are line-interactive ups.

The Minuteman produces better sine wave when using battery power but its fan is on all the time. Too loud for HT. The fan in the APC kicks in only when back up batter power is on. It is otherwise silent

Online ups are more expensive. Try APC Smart ups RT 1500. I am not sure if the fan is always on but I suspect so because it is alway doing double conversion.

APC also makes one for HT use, but I believe it is a line-interactive ups.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/0

you dont want to use a computer type UPS for your system. It wont be outputting the cleanest power out to your projector.

That depends on the model. There are quite a few very good computer-style UPS units available - the technology has come a long way in the past few years.

There is also some real junk out there that has given the industry a bad name. I would agree that the cheap line-interactive UPSs that you see at OfficeMax, et al, are not good for audio applications.

However, I submit that you can get equivalent performance for less money from a 'traditional' UPS, even if you end up adding some sort of output filter (which you would probably not need).

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I've researched a little more and it appears that the APC Smart RT series would work and it doesn't lag when switching to battery, but holy moly, at 1000 bucks, I can buy 3 new bulbs for my G11. I'd only have to hope that the bulb didn't blow up and damage the Pj if power outage occurred.

Chris

·
Registered
735 Posts
Dude! You should have mentione the G11. That's what I run off my 1400. I know I said you should run at 75%, but I have been happy with the 1400 and it has enough runtime for me to turn off the lamp. Once the lamp is off you have plenty of battery to cool down with the fans

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes you should be to use the manufacturer's specs as a guide. Generally the load is supposed to be 75% or less of the UPS rating, but I have used them at higher loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybean /forum/post/0

How does one determine how many watts a UPS should provide for a projector? It's not as simple as just going by the projector manufacturer's rating is it? The original poster took an amp measurement for example...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I use a APC SmartUPS 2200XL, it's been great to me, I have my HTPC and all A/V equipment on it.

Also comes in handy during a hurricane if you remember the "force online" button to turn it back on after it's been turned off.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good stuff. Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils /forum/post/0

Dude! You should have mentione the G11. That's what I run off my 1400. I know I said you should run at 75%, but I have been happy with the 1400 and it has enough runtime for me to turn off the lamp. Once the lamp is off you have plenty of battery to cool down with the fans

Thanks for that info bluedevils. Does your fan run only when in battery mode? Have you had mother nature put it to the test? No G11 shutdown when it switched to battery mode?

Chris

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY /forum/post/0

I've spent darn near all day searching for just a simple solution to providing backup power to my JVC projector in case of a power outage. I'm hoping someone here has found something similar to what I'm looking for, just a basic, no nonsense unit. The Pj draws 8 amps, which if my math is right converts to about 960 watts. Any ideas?

Chris

I have a Tripp-Lite double conversion UPS - it's always on since it feeds my projector 120VAC from the bank of batteries. The incoming 120VAC is converted to DC which charges the batteries then the DC is converted to 120VAC. Pure AC sine output and steady as a rock.

http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite...a~7TRPL1KT.htm

·
Registered
4,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black /forum/post/0

You may be right. There's also the next model up 1500VA/1000W PureAV. Did a quick search and again found it can be had for about half msrp, but that's still $700. Very nice unit tho.

PureAV 1500

I wonder if the PureAV 1500 Buzzes as badly as the lower capacity model. I have the basic PureAv as well, and don't use it because it is so noisy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.