AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, well I already have the nice Onkyo setup in the living room, with blu-ray, 7.1, HD A/V and all that goodness. I just upgraded the bedroom TV to a decent LCD. Now, I'd like to put a 5.1 system in there, *if* it's small and discreet enough. I think going for blu-ray and HD audio would be a bit of overkill for now (and not cheap), so that's out.


- I'd keep the cable box connected directly to the TV (HMDI) and use the optical audio out from the TV to the receiver, so the receiver wouldn't have to be on just to watch TV.

- I want a receiver with an integrated, upscaling DVD player. Then I could dump that dinosaur of a player I have in there.

- Preferably it would have an HDMI out for DVD, but component is OK. Don't think it would make a huge difference on a 26" LCD.

- And of course, small and discreet speakers. Small enough that the rears could just be placed in the corners of our nightstands.


I'd like to keep it around $300 or less. Yes, this will not be an audiophile system. I just want some basic 5.1 in there without worrying that I bought some piece of crap. I'm just assuming a HTIB would be the best value in this case. Thanks in advance for any input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Alot of televisions do not output more than stereo through their optical output, check on this and then determine if you need 5.1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
well I have a similar post here, maybe some of my choices han help us both.lol:


Hello, I just bought my Samsung HDTV (32') and I want to buy a home theater to go with it, all of these for my small bedroom.


I'm on a limited budget and I can't go over $400. (500 would be a sacrifice)


So here are my options

Panasonic SC-PT760 Deluxe 5 DVD Home Theater System


Panasonic SC-PT960 Deluxe 5 DVD Home Theater System


and my last option (it would be a sacrifice because of the price)

Sony DAV-HDX500/i BRAVIA Home Theater System


and here are some suggestions form avsforum members:

Onkyo HT S5100 - home theater system - 7.1 channel


Onkyo HT-SR700



any suggestions are welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
I'd keep the cable box connected directly to the TV (HMDI) and use the optical audio out from the TV to the receiver, so the receiver wouldn't have to be on just to watch TV. If you use the optical audio out from the TV to the receiver, you will not have 5.1 sound from the cable box. Since HDMI carries both audio and video from the cable box to the TV you can watch TV with out the receiver. I would run either optical or coaxial audio from the cable box to the receiver so you can have 5.1 sound from the cable box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, I could run optical or coax digital from the cable box directly to the receiver. I guess there's no reason to run it through the TV even though my TV supports dolby digital. As long as the cable box will output audio from two different outputs at the same time, which I'm sure it does.


I saw that worst buy has several 'budget' 5.1 systems, that are even cheaper than I expected to find. I'll probably just go in there and pick one out for the convenience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleoPatrudo /forum/post/14251799


well I have a similar post here, maybe some of my choices han help us both.lol:


Hello, I just bought my Samsung HDTV (32') and I want to buy a home theater to go with it, all of these for my small bedroom.


I'm on a limited budget and I can't go over $400. (500 would be a sacrifice)


So here are my options

Panasonic SC-PT760 Deluxe 5 DVD Home Theater System


Panasonic SC-PT960 Deluxe 5 DVD Home Theater System


and my last option (it would be a sacrifice because of the price)

Sony DAV-HDX500/i BRAVIA Home Theater System


and here are some suggestions form avsforum members:

Onkyo HT S5100 - home theater system - 7.1 channel


Onkyo HT-SR700



any suggestions are welcome.

I saw your post yesterday, when I was poking around trying to be diligent about the "search before you ask" thing. I couldn't even get the ones you are linking. My bedroom is crammed full of stuff so no room even for speaker stands and such. It's going to be little square speakers for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaker47 /forum/post/14252984


I guess there's no reason to run it through the TV even though my TV supports dolby digital.

Most of the time that means Dolby Digital from HD channels through the TV's tuner. You'd have to have a TV that specifically references 5.1 pass through on the optical connection (they are out there.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/14253100


Most of the time that means Dolby Digital from HD channels through the TV's tuner. You'd have to have a TV that specifically references 5.1 pass through on the optical connection (they are out there.)

Yeah, and the tv's manual (26LG30) is unclear... but it doesn't matter, because I realize now I don't need to use that output at all.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top