AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a small TV or computer monitor, so I don't always have to turn on the projector when I simply want to listen to redbook CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, use my PS3 for various tasks like a media server, or make audio adjustments.

I have my sources all going to an Onkyo 805 receiver via HDMI, then I have a single HDMI cable going to my Epson HC720 projector.

What I'm looking for:
  • needs to be small (less than 20"). This will sit on my equipment rack at the back of the room.
  • picture quality doesn't matter a whole lot
  • needs HDMI or DVI (HDCP)
  • would like to spend around $100 or less
  • not totally necessary, but it would be nice if it could be turned on and off via IR remote commands

Any recommendations?

Also, my Onkyo 805 only has one HDMI out connection, but I'm thinking I could probably get a 1HDMI in->2 HDMI out switch from somewhere (Monoprice?) that would work. Any recommendations for that as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Another option is to run a cable (such as S-Video) from your AVR to an existing television in another room, assuming that your AVR remote works across walls. I have never tried this, so I don't know if it will actually work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
why don't you go down to the garage sales and pick up a used something...

or a 6' travle one from Kmart or Walmart...

and why dose it have to be HDMI if p/q dosen't matter???

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke /forum/post/14234010

Another option is to run a cable (such as S-Video) from your AVR to an existing television in another room, assuming that your AVR remote works across walls. I have never tried this, so I don't know if it will actually work.

My current sources are connected via HDMI and my AVR won't transcode HDMI inputs to S-Video output. As far as I know, to run an S-Video cable output, I'd have to run S-Video from all of my sources to the AVR and I don't want that wiring complication. Plus, that would get into the issue of whether my sources will simultaneously output S-Video and HDMI at the same time. A workaround for that situation would be to change this in the setup menu of each source each time I switch between projector or monitor, but I don't want that complication each time.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbudman /forum/post/14235431

why don't you go down to the garage sales and pick up a used something...

or a 6' travle one from Kmart or Walmart...

and why dose it have to be HDMI if p/q dosen't matter???

Needs to be HDMI or DVI to complete the HDCP handshake. Most of my sources won't even play unless the HDCP handshake is made. A workaround for this is to go into my Onkyo 805 receiver's setup menu every time and change HDMI Monitor Out to "No", but I'm trying to simplify things here.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Chad, you'll probably need to look at the used market, as I question if they even make an HDMI display for $100 yet. Though I hope I am wrong, as it is a great idea for projector owners!

I've been thinking about doing something similar. In my case I wanted to split the signal from my PS3 and send it to a small display for when I am just checking messages or checking the PSN store and don't plan on watching a BD movie or play a game. In my case I am thinking that I would need a small display that accepted the same signal as the projector, which will be 1080p/24 once I upgrade to a 1080p SXRD projector. I doubt anything cheap accepts that signal, so I am out of luck. I might keep an eye on ebay, but that make me nervous...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This combo is about $200, but seems to fit your bill.

active DVI splitter with HDCP

generic 17" widescreen LCD monitor

We simply use a little Mustek portable DVD player with a/v in for monitoring our HD satellite box without using the projector. The satellite box has a comp video out downscaled to 480i. Less than $60, and a portable DVD to boot. If you're just using it for audio adjustments, couldn't you just feed composite out of the source you use?

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried an experiment by temporarily hauling my computer monitor out to my media rack. The monitor is a Dell 2007WFP that I bought a couple years ago. It is a 20" 1.6AR "wide screen" monitor and has a DVI connection. I ran an HDMI->DVI cable from my Onkyo 805 receiver's HDMI output to the Dell's DVI input.

It worked! HDCP handshake and the whole enchilada. All of my sources output 720p to match my projector's native resolution and the computer monitor handles this resolution without any problems.

Now, I'd need to find a 1 HDMIin->2HDMIout switch. This monitor can only be turned off or on by pushing a button on the front panel, which is a pain, BUT it does have a power save mode if it doesn't receive a signal. If I could get a switch that would kill the signal to the unused output and would activate power save mode I think it would work.

I would need a smaller monitor as 20" is way too big for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite /forum/post/14236052

This combo is about $200, but seems to fit your bill.

active DVI splitter with HDCP

generic 17" widescreen LCD monitor

We simply use a little Mustek portable DVD player with a/v in for monitoring our HD satellite box without using the projector. The satellite box has a comp video out downscaled to 480i. Less than $60, and a portable DVD to boot. If you're just using it for audio adjustments, couldn't you just feed composite out of the source you use?

Jonathan

Thanks....currently checking out those links.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:

T

Jonathan

exactly what i do. works great. saves mucho pj lamp time.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

I wouldn't be using it just for audio adjustments.....would also be listening to DVD-A, SACD, redbook CDs, etc. Also, for various things on my PS3 like media server and so forth.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
I have seen some 15" LCD PC monitors with DVI on sale for about $100 ( but it has been a while since I looked
) . I think one was an Acer and the other was a Soyo . If you don't mind a refurb then try eCost as they usually have some great deals on pc monitors , I think they have had some 17" units go for $99 .

* Looks like $150 is about as inexpensive as it gets right now for something with DVI in the 17" to 20" range (as far as eCost goes)

Best of Luck ,

-- Jason

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite /forum/post/14236718

I seriously doubt you could do that.

It looks like it is possible at least with the manual 2x1 Monoprice switch. Here is a comment from a User Review on monoprice.com:

"Great product! I reversed the 2 diodes on the PCB and it works great as an HDMI distributor instead of its original intended 2 to 1 switcher. I have enough switching capability on my A/V receiver and needed something to select the output to my LCD TV or the front projector. Tried the matrix 4x2 switcher earlier but didn''t work out for me as it had trouble handshaking with my Panasonic DVD recorder/VCR combo."

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
I have done that mod to my monoprice manual 2x1 switch and now mine works in either direction , works great with no issues at all and the mod took me about 5 minutes ( took longer for the soldering iron to heat up than to do the entire mod ) .

-- Jason

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I stand corrected.

I've worked with a few different HDMI switch IC's, and all were uni-directional. I see now that ST Micro has a chip thats bi-directional, perhaps the monoprice switch uses that one.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, I'm way, way late getting back on this, but I finally got this taken care of.

I ended up going with a Coby TFTV1524 15" LCD monitor/HDTV. It has a 15" 16:10 screen and the picture is just so-so, but it's perfect for my needs. It has an HDCP-compliant HDMI input and a ton of other input connections. Also, it will accept any resolution including 1080p. Best part: $130 shipped.

I also bought the Monoprice Push Button 2x1 HDMI switch and did the modification to make it a 1x2 switch.

$145 spent and it's working great!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcredit /forum/post/16096004

I would have suggested getting a slingbox

Cool device, but not sure how it would fit into my application?

I still need an alternate display in the room where my projector is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts