AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I'm trying to find a surface mounted [spot] light to shine directly down on a poker table. I want to light the table (brightly), but minimize the light leakage into the rest of the room...

Due to some ductwork, recessed lights are not an option for me here...

Could anyone give a suggesstion?

thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have seen some downlights at home depot that would work great. I am not sure how your table it set up, but I am sure there is something there that would work. Do you want just a single light? Depending on how big your table is, your more then likely need a single fixture with two lamps. Most of them hang down over the table like a dining room light. Like these:

You can get single lamp fixtures but some are limited to 50 watts and may not put out enough light, but may be more of what you are looking for. Like these:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well my only suggestion would be some track lights that you can direct to the table. Getting little into the rest of the room while keeping the table lit well will be tough. My only other guess is to put lighting on a dimmer to minimize the light if needed.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Is there an IKEA in Chicago? They have various european-style spot lights, including track lights, which can do what you want. Cheap, too (in both senses -- about the same quality as Home Depot stuff, but looks better IMO).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte /forum/post/0

Is there an IKEA in Chicago? They have various european-style spot lights, including track lights, which can do what you want. Cheap, too (in both senses -- about the same quality as Home Depot stuff, but looks better IMO).

I'll check into it...thanks..

Was hoping to avoid the actual track and go with a couple of pendants....we'll see what I can dig up

PKONOLD's last light might be a possibility....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had thought of the puck lights, and building a valance for them,....just didn't wat the bleed in to the room..

the LED won't be bright enough on a 9 foot ceiling.

What I was hoping to find was some sort of sculpture spotlight...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks like an Interrogation room! Cool

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTBrandy /forum/post/0

I'm trying to find a surface mounted [spot] light to shine directly down on a poker table. I want to light the table (brightly), but minimize the light leakage into the rest of the room...Due to some ductwork, recessed lights are not an option for me here...

The way to get a beam of light with minimal light spillage would be to use MR16 bulbs (low voltage) in cylinder-style track fixtures. The MR bulbs have a tightly focused beam with low glare, and the cylinder will provide a slight recess to further reduce light spillage. MR16's are available in flood, narrow flood, spot, etc. You would need a few of these for a poker table. This one is from Lightolier.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I second the suggestion of a track. That gives you many options for spot fixtures, with tight-spread lamps. You can aim a few of them on the table, and have minimal spread in to the adjacent room area.

I've done this on my game area ceiling for my air hockey table :

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.