AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sony KLW-9000 but have decided to upgrade.

Here's what I'm loooking for:

A large display 50" and over. DLP, LCD, CRT, Whatever, as long as its High Def or at least 1280 x 768 if a computer display.

If possible, a split-screen "PIP"

Minimum two digital inputs (RGB 15 pib D-sub and/or DVI)

Basically, I want to be able to watch TV from an RCA DTC-100 and web surf on a computer at the same time (computer has DVI or RGB 15 pin).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
506 Posts
DLP would be a good choice given your priorities (HD and Computer use). The DLP resolution is 720P or 1280x720 for sets containing TI's HD-2 Mirror Array).

Many sets feature split screen PIP as a feature, but you'll probably have to test them yourself or call the manufacturer to discover limitations. I believe both the Sammy HLM507W and the Panny PT-52DL52 support split screen EXCEPT when a DVI or RGB input is utilized. This must be a technical or cost limitation of the electronics - the limitation is not always in the owner's manual. It's worth noting the Picture in Picture may work but small screen size would be a limitation for surfing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
From what I've read, most DVI inputs are limited to only support either PC (i.e. 800 X 600, 1024 X 768, etc) or HDTV (i.e. 720p, 1080i, etc) signals. Though for displays w/ PC-only DVI input, HD component inputs (still analog) are often supplied in order to complete the offering.

I'm searching for a display unit w/ a DVI input that's flexible enough to handle both HDTV and PC output.

Will the tv's you mentioned support both HDTV and PC signals over DVI?

Should I even strive for a DVI-only configuration, or is the quality of an analog HD picture just as good as a digital one?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think alot of DLP sets are flexible enough to accept computer and HD signals (ie. just need good scaling)

For example, the Sammy 507 is flexible enough to accept 800x600 or 1024x768 computer inputs in addition to 720p HD. Another option is to download Powerstrip to set your PC to 1280x720 for exact 1:1 pixel mapping.

I will use Powerstrip's 1280x720 setting to display digital pictures, etc. on my 507 for 1:1 pixel mapping with a full screen slideshow app.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking seriously at the Sammy HLM617W, but what worries me is the lack of split screen when using the RGB (dsub) of DVI input.

Is that a fact that it will NOT do split screen in those modes? what about PIP?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.