AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have limited resources, but really would like to have DVR capabilities again.

I have a TiVo series 2 that has broken down for the 3rd time. I don't have the financial resources to repair it at this time.
I also don't have a computer or internet at the house at this time.

Are there any units similar to tivo - without the need for a listings subscription - that are available in the US? Before someone bought me my TiVo, there were a few competitors, but these days, I don't see much of anything in the stores in this area.

The experts on this forum came recommended to me, so I came to ask what the current state of affairs are.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
273 Posts
About the only thing that might fit your needs is the Channel Master DVR+. You can google it for more info.

Tablo is kinda techie/buggy. WMC might lose guide support since M$ has dumped it.

I would have really recommended getting a new Tivo before they screwed everything up with the Onepass update. I'm stuck in their ecosystem for now though and hoping they get their act together.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
WMC isn't losing guide support. They just migrated the guide to the one Xbox One uses. And if it did, you can still get guide data from Schedules Direct.

Every product I know of needs an internet connection to pull guide data.

The reason there are no new products is that Tivo owns patents on every aspect of a DVR. A new, small company doesnt have the resources to fight them or pay the extortion, i mean license, fees.

Even smart tvs from companies like Samsung and LG have DVR features baked into them, they're just shut off in the US so they don't have to pay Tivo fees.

·
Registered
782 Posts
cable or over the air (antenna)? over the air there are several really cheap alternatives but with limited features - ie. Iview or Homeworx, etc

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I have limited resources, but really would like to have DVR capabilities again.

I have a TiVo series 2 that has broken down for the 3rd time. I don't have the financial resources to repair it at this time.
I also don't have a computer or internet at the house at this time.

Are there any units similar to tivo - without the need for a listings subscription - that are available in the US? Before someone bought me my TiVo, there were a few competitors, but these days, I don't see much of anything in the stores in this area.

The experts on this forum came recommended to me, so I came to ask what the current state of affairs are.

Thank you so much.
A series 2 with lifetime can be had for $30-40 on eBay.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,427 Posts
Yes, over-the-air vs. cable vs. ??? can make a critical difference, especially which cable service if that is your source and you would like the box you get or build to last more than maybe a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts