Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for an NTSC Tuner/Capture card for a specific purpose. All I need it to do is to record in WMV format at relatively low rates (about 200-800Kbs) and to be able to record in VCD and SVCD format. It needs to work under WinXP and be very stable. Wish list items include EPG and low processor requirements/usage. And, of course, the cheaper the better.

I have an ATI AIW 128 AGP that seems to have serious problems recording WMV video althought it may be something with my PC. I am planning on getting a new PC, but would like to try another card first and transfer it to the new machine later.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gergg

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I've been using the bt878a based I/O Magic PC PVR card that is popular here. I have had pretty good results, but for best quality I suggest using an external tuner of some kind (VCR, set-top cable box) into the s-video input of the card, as the EMI/RFI inside the PC seems to reduce the quality obtained via the built-in tuner. Thats also the only way to get stereo audio, as the cards tuner is mono only. It cost me $49 two month ago and works with dScaler, too!

·
Registered
139 Posts
helzerr:

When you use the I/O Magic with DScaler, what card profile do you use in DScaler since the I/O Magic isn't listed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you say you are having trouble capturing WMV, what sort of trouble are you having? Dropped frames? I have an AIW Radeon and can capture at full NTSC resolution to WMV without dropped frames. However, this wasn't always the case. When I had a P3 at 960MHz, it wasn't fast enough to do the compression. Now, with a P4 at 2.2GHz I can do WMV capturing but just barely I suspect as the CPU utilization spikes up to 100%. Anyways, the odd thing about TV tuner cards is the cheapest ones work with dscaler which is considered the best (in terms of image quality) TV viewing application. I suppose you can't go wrong spending a few bucks on a cheap card. I personally haven't tried it, but if it could work with my AIW Radeon I'd probably be all over it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Let me be more specific. I am not using it to watch TV. I do not care about using DScaler. I am only using it to record TV shows and I need it to record in MPEG and WMV with minimal CPU usage. I currently have a 400Mhz Celeron and might be upgrading to 1.8Ghz P4. I would love for it to work well with Snapstream, since that is the only software I know where I can program a recording from another PC.

-Gregg

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You may as well forget about HW WMV card there is non.

MPEG2 with HW there are lot option out there but only a few work with 3rdparty app but then agine you rigth back to where you start at non of the 3rdparty can make use of HW MPEG2 encode like Snapstream so it use the Soft codec.

WinTV-PVR model 880 is about the cloes option you have.

But it not going help you much with fast CPU you still going be stuck to 320x240 but it dose help keep from getting more drop frames with fast CPU.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is anyone using Snapstream 2.0 successfully? If so, what TV Tuner card and what encoding profile are you using? I am really only aiming for 320x240 and no dropped frames...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may be leaning toward an ATI TV-Wonder, is anyone using one?

-Gergg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.