AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate advice on the below:

Having recently upgraded to Cox HD digital cable, I'm looking for an HD DVR equivalent of my old Sony VCR: something that can sit downstream and make a (HD) copy of the program I'm watching. Any suggestions?

-I want a piece of hardware I own; no $25/month cableco rental, thanks.

-I don't need to pause live TV, copy 6 shows at once, etc.; just something equivalent to the '80s VCR where you can record a show, preferably on a timer for future airings.

-CableCARD would be a plus (replace cable STB, save some $$$) but not a necessity.

-Must make HD (1080i) recordings.

-Absolutely must have the ability to store/archive recorded programs to a PC, external HDD, etc. (I want the digital age equivalent of being able to tape/retain on VHS to my heart's desire, and to go beyond the in-box HDD space limits if needed).

-Prefer to have a consumer-type set-top box and not require a connection to my PC simply to record, if possible.

At first, I thought a Tivo would be the solution, but then read that it follows/inherits the cablecos' restrictions on what you can transfer off to a PC (read: not much), and maybe even enforces auto-expiration of certain programs after a set time. So, that may be a deal-breaker.

If not that, what are my other options? The Philips HDR5750 seemed close, if it's still sold, but got iffy reviews. The Magnavox 557 seems only to record in SD. I'm not sure about the HDHomeRun Prime's DVR capabilities and whether it can get around cablecos' restrictions (and it seems to require a PC to be a DVR, in any case). Other boxes seem OTA only. At the far extreme, the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 with a component connection would seem to fit my PC-archiving needs but is not very consumer-friendly.

Appreciate any tips, thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Appreciate advice on the below:

Having recently upgraded to Cox HD digital cable, I'm looking for an HD DVR equivalent of my old Sony VCR: something that can sit downstream and make a (HD) copy of the program I'm watching. Any suggestions?

-I want a piece of hardware I own; no $25/month cableco rental, thanks.

-I don't need to pause live TV, copy 6 shows at once, etc.; just something equivalent to the '80s VCR where you can record a show, preferably on a timer for future airings.

-CableCARD would be a plus (replace cable STB, save some $$$) but not a necessity.

-Must make HD (1080i) recordings.

-Absolutely must have the ability to store/archive recorded programs to a PC, external HDD, etc. (I want the digital age equivalent of being able to tape/retain on VHS to my heart's desire, and to go beyond the in-box HDD space limits if needed).

-Prefer to have a consumer-type set-top box and not require a connection to my PC simply to record, if possible.

At first, I thought a Tivo would be the solution, but then read that it follows/inherits the cablecos' restrictions on what you can transfer off to a PC (read: not much), and maybe even enforces auto-expiration of certain programs after a set time. So, that may be a deal-breaker.

If not that, what are my other options? The Philips HDR5750 seemed close, if it's still sold, but got iffy reviews. The Magnavox 557 seems only to record in SD. I'm not sure about the HDHomeRun Prime's DVR capabilities and whether it can get around cablecos' restrictions (and it seems to require a PC to be a DVR, in any case). Other boxes seem OTA only. At the far extreme, the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 with a component connection would seem to fit my PC-archiving needs but is not very consumer-friendly.

Appreciate any tips, thanks.
Actually the Hauppauge HD-PVR is very easy to use, and you don't need a high powered PC to use it - a semi modern laptop Win 7 or Win 8 is more than sufficient.
If you have component coming out of the cable box - in HD - then you are set. Of course you will lose the ability to record the sound in any HD format, so if stereo is good enough then it is all good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts