AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been really enjoying these forums for the past several months and as I now plan to move forward with my build, I am looking for any advice to solve my screen wall issue. I attached a picture of my basement layout and where I would like to place the screen so I have the maximum amount of space in the basement which can see the screen (going for more of an open media room concept). However, the issue with this placement is that there is a set of double doors behind where I want to put the screen that go into an unfinished part of the basement for storage etc. I want a more finished look for the wall as I was planning on building a screen wall to accompany the screen speakers, etc. However, I would like to leave access to the double doors so if I do need to store stuff I can get in and out. I've looked at electric/portable screens but am yet to come up with an idea that I really like that keeps the sceen in that location but also gives me access to the doors behind it.

Does anyone have any ideas for a screen placement like this? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Please provide a bit more info and some dimensions and depth to wall info. Some actual photos of the double door area would help and also if you intend to put the speakers behind the screen using an acoustically transparent material. Doing it this way would allow you to keep the doors open and place the front three speakers in the door frame and use a DIY fixed frame screen hung on the side walls and door header with french cleats....so that you could simply 'lift' the screen off and gain access to the storage area. Simple blackout header and base panels can be done the same way with basic lumber and Blackout cloth. Super light, portable and if done properly very professional.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mayhem,

A picture of the wall is below. I realize it isn't ideal as its pretty close up. The entire wall width is 148" and its 90" high. I wanted to use a 100" screen (so 87" wide). The wall is 31" back from the wall located to the left side of the wall which has another door to a bathroom. Ideally I would like the screen centered on the wall if possible.

One of my big concerns is whatever I put below the screen needs to be relatively easy to move or open as it will be in the way of the doorway.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Can you keep the doors open and place your front three speakers on the door way? Just wondering if there's a climate issue with the storage space. If not then inwall speakers on either side of the doorway might be the way to go. Certainly since there's a room behind the walls that's a pretty simple install. If you can keep the doors open, then putting the AV gear in that room would also provide line of site for IR remote control operation as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The speakers should be fine in there with the doors open. My only concern would be needing to move the speakers every time I tried to get into and out of the space, especially the center speaker. Also, ideally I would like to cover the entire doorway when the screen is in place so its not apparent that there is a door there, so I'm struggling with what to put below the screen in front of the door to hide the door. I would like this to also be easy to move as otherwise I would need to step over it to get through the doorway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not have speakers yet. I was planning on getting the B&W 600 series, though hadn't decided yet between the bookshelfs (685s) for the fronts or floor standing (683s). I was going to get the matching center based on which I got.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
In looking at the photo a bit more, the doorway is a bit too narrow for all three so that creates some alternatives. Speaker placement is going to really dictate how this goes.

1. conventional tower speakers on either side of the outside of the screen. That's how i currently do it with a 106" 16:9 screen. Then a fixed mount center channel above the center of the doorway. I DIY'd mine with an angled baffle and i love it. Here's a pic

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1288049597

The screen drops down from inside the soffit. You could easily do this as well with a built in soffit above the doorway and an in-wall center channel in the soffit. You could also 'hang' a fixed frame from the underside of the soffit with a soft valence on the bottom of the screen with blackout cloth and a weighted pole inside covering the area from the screen bottom to the floor. Matching semi fixed panels could go on either side of the screen covering the left and right speaker.

Building a curved soffit above the doorway would be really cool! You could do three small halogen can lights in it as well to light up the screen. The storage area would provide easy access to wiring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do manual or electric screens compare to fixed screens for image quality? My biggest concern would be the screens degrading over time and getting wrinkles/lines etc. Are there good brands/models that are know to be just as good as fixed screens?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The manual/electric pull down screens do curl after a while. It's usually contained to the edges and doesn't affect the viewing area.......a possibly worth while compromise in your case for easy access to the storage room. A lightweight, fully portable DIY fixed frame could be built in your case and hung on the existing wall without fasteners instead a french cleat to 'hung' from the underside of a soffit with simple eyelets and S hooks. Not as convienient as the pull down, but better image quality and long term relaibility. If DIY (it's easy to do) can be substantially better video performer over commercial pull down/electric models.

The soffit makes great sense in your case considering the bathroom bumpout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts