AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've just moved and my wife has allowed me to have free reign (well as much as you can in an apartment). The room is almost perfectly square with several doors. I have no idea where to start but I have a feeling it will be full of headaches. could someone lend some advice. My main concern aside from room modes with the sub are the rear channels. traditional placement would have them in the rear corners. very close to the wall. is there a better placement or sound treatment that i could use to help with the excessive spikes this will likely cause in the response.

if you need more information I'll gladly provide it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have a similar sized room and untreated, it's pretty bad. Adding even minimal treatment has improved things significantly for me. If you're looking to learn and/or buy, I'd strongly suggest checking out RealTraps and GIK Acoustics .

Can't help you much with the surround placement as I have basically the same problem. I've considered going in-wall for the surrounds, but I'm not sure that really helps things significantly.

Best 'o luck.

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Scott. At this point my plans are to treat the walls directly behind the mains as you have. Also to treat the walls behind and adjacent to the rear surrounds (including the celling). My hope is that that this will diminish the corner loading effect. This room is hell to work with compared to the 13 X 21 room i had it in prior to our move.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sounds like a great plan to me. Tell me about room hell...the only thing worse than trying to work with a small room, is trying to work with a small multipurpose room. Acoustic problems...space problems...WAF problems...

At the risk of sounding like an endorsement, since I know there are other very reputable products out there, those GIK tri traps really cleaned things up for me. I still have to use EQ to knock down a room mode ~40Hz, but they really helped reduce the amount of cut that I needed to use and probably more significantly, really cleaned up some nasty ringing.

Best 'o luck with the new room.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts